Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just bought a Laguna 1.8 16v Sport (W reg/00) to replace my company car (will benefit more from the allowance I'll receive).

I had originally been hunting for a facelift 406, but just kept finding tatty ones. It was if by chance that I stumbled across this Laguna. Instantly liked it as it was the Sport which has those nice flat spoked wheels. Had wanted the DCi, but insurance wise, it's not expensive and I don't drive a huge amount. Wasn't initially that keen on the colour, but it grew on me and the car is practically unmarked. Not scratches, dents or anything.

It'll be my daily runner as I have a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo as a weekend/fun thing.

Anyway, this is it, it's got about 100k on the clock, but the bodywork is fantastic condition, so obviously been well looked after, interior again is very very good. Even the tyres, which are new, are Pirelli P6000, so it's been well cared for.

Just wondering what tends to go wrong with these, I've heard some horror stories....but you hear that about every make/model.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Funkysi.

Have a search of the Forums you should find lots of info there.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The following link pretty much covers it.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/laguna/12713-advice-laguna-1-executive.html

I'd just add that they also have a tendency to drop the exhaust back box onto tarmac at speed, giving a nice plume of sparks from the rear of the car when they do. The box is only supported at the rear, so if the weld between the pipe and the back box gives out, the front of the box just freefalls onto the road.

So if at any stage the exhaust sounds like it's blowing from the rear, give it the once-over to make sure it's not about to pull this trick.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi again, the metal straps that hold the plastic fuel tank on tend to corrode, as suggested earlier do a search of the forum, I would also make sure the cam belt and tensioner, and auxillary belt have been changed recently. Is that the lucky bird poo on the drivers door?
Regards Leroy

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Hello funkysi
Great car, I had a 2.2 RTDT from 97- 05 with no major problems, Horatio is bang on, with his remarks regarding the back box, I had plenty of warning it was blowing for a number of days, a bit of wire saved my bacon when I realised how bad it was, I guess another day and the back box would have fallen off.

Also take a look at the two straps that hold the fuel tank in place, these have an habit of being a problem too, although it is cheap and easy to replace them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome guys and thanks for the tips. Have had a good rummage around the car and checked most things. I'm not actually picking it up until Monday although I have paid for it.

It's had main dealer service history up until about 90,000 and the garage I'm buying it from are changing the cam belt/rollers and doing an oil change after me insisting that it be done. It'll come with a year's MOT as well.

Under the car, the exhaust looks in pretty good condition and the metal fuel tanks straps as mentioned don't appear to be corroded at all. Will have another thorough route out when I get it home on Monday. Will post up some more photos if it bother you.

Si

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Leroy. Main concern is the electrics. Always seems to be a bit of a grey area with Renaults...please guys, don't take offence to this as this is only 3rd hand information that Renault electrics are a little hit and miss. I'm sure this is only an issue with older cars.

The phase 2 Laguna 1 pretty much had any issue sorted that the the phase 1 had. This is what I am thinking anyway.

I know mechanically, the Lagunas are pretty reasonable. heard the gearboxes can fail on them. But to what extent I don't know.

This is the first Renault I've owned. Have had 2 Citroens before and the electrics on that weren't much cop.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Thanks Leroy. Main concern is the electrics. Always seems to be a bit of a grey area with Renaults...please guys, don't take offence to this as this is only 3rd hand information that Renault electrics are a little hit and miss. I'm sure this is only an issue with older cars.
Definitely no offence taken :d Yes, they're notorious for iffy electrics, though none of my four Lag's have been particularly problematic in this respect. The worst car I ever had for electrical faults was a brand new H reg Vauxhall Astra. Though the problem was compounded by the fact that the dealer I was using really coudn't have cared less about fixing them.
I know mechanically, the Lagunas are pretty reasonable. heard the gearboxes can fail on them. But to what extent I don't know.
Auto gearboxes are a notorious weak spot. If my personal experience is anything to go by, then the manuals are far from bulletproof too. Out of the four Lag's, two have needed replacement gearboxes. The current one has only done just over 40K, so who knows if it'll be next?
This is the first Renault I've owned. Have had 2 Citroens before and the electrics on that weren't much cop.
Poor electrics do seem to be a French thing, though if the 'vibe' I get is correct, the PSA group cars are worse than the Renaults in this regard.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'm on my second Lag,the first one suffered gearbox failure at around 125k.It got stuck in third gear and no matter what we tried,it wouldn't come out of it.I replaced the box and clutch(£200 for second hand box,£150 for new clutch),and all was well until I sold it on 132k.There was no warning leading up the failure,but one thing to do is keep an eye on the gearbox oil level.The nearside inner driveshaft gaiter leaks gearbox oil and can,if not noticed,lead to the gear oil level getting low and seriously reducing the the 'boxes life expectancy.:)

The engines,on the whole,are pretty good,but make sure the cambelt is changed as per schedule on the 16 valve engines.

On the whole,they are excellent cars and I rate them very highly.It's always a gamble when buying second hand cars,but the Lag 1 phase 2's give no more trouble than a comparative Vectra/406/Mondeo etc.:)

And remember,if you browse through the forum,we usually only get to hear from owners when they have problems!.Don't be too disheartened by the amount of negative things said about Renaults on here.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I've had 8 or 9 Renaults one after the other which speaks for itself, all cars have been kept for a number of years.

Because of the kiss of death I'd tell you if I had, but I haven't. :confused:

I hope you know what I mean. :)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Ive just replaced the full exhaust on mine :) but now my gearbox has gone :crazy: but thats getting replaced by where I bought the car from so all is well, as mentioned earlier they are no more problematic than any oter car realy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts