Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought myself a 2003 Scenic last Tuesday. Last Thursday it stopped working. We thought it was the cambelt at first but we think a pulley may have collapsed and its making the belt jump teeth.

Oh well will find out this week when the garage gets back in touch. Do you think this is a bad omen?:crazy:

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

That doesn't sound good :( if the engine timing has been lost then you are going to be looking at bent valves.

What engine is it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

That doesn't sound good :( if the engine timing has been lost then you are going to looking at bent valves.

What engine is it?
2.0l and its with the blokes that sold it to me as it had driven a whole 8 miles from their place before it packed up. If they don't fix it I shall be getting a refund.:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2.0l and its sat at the garage I bought it from. If they dont fix it then I'll be getting a refund and once more be on the hunt for a new car:(

R

·
0 Posts
If the timing belt has jumped or broken there will have been piston and valve contact.:(

R

·
0 Posts
If it's only 2 bent valves I think thats quite lucky :) I usually only find 2 that aren't bent on these 16 valve engines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the heads off....now for the damage report....:loser:

Ooops. That'll be a new engine then:eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Oh dear thats not good :( as you say looks like a new engine.

If it had been timing belt failure then it would have probably been possible to repair the engine as the valves are relatively weak and just get bent out of the way

I have recently posted on the same thing a valve head had broken off and trashed the engine too! I bought the car like that believing it had suffered timing belt failure.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106668&highlight=valve+breaks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it was quite impressive how the engine had tried to eat itself. They have another engine to be fitted into it. What should I get them to change on the new engine?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts