Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've been lurking for a while but it's time for my tale of woe and a question or two:

The car's an 02 Laguna 1.8 Privilege Sport Wagon. The passenger side front sidelight went, so the usual fun and games ensued to remove 'emblishments' and eventually the battery to get access.

Cut fingers and blue language got the side light bulb swapped. Battery back on and checked all lights working - all good. Put all the wires back in their clips and the cover back on. Job done I thought. Ha.

So then I find the radio's not working. Fine, I enter the code. The code supplied isn't right so I remove the radio to find the serial numbers to get a code from the web. But I notice the codes scratched into the top of the radio. Fair enough, not the most security concious thing the previous owner could do (Sixt) but it didn't cost me anything.

Then I reset the electric windows. Easy enough.

Then I spot the odometers reading in km not miles. Reading round here tells me the last thing you should ever do is disconnect the battery so that's irrevisible and I'm not paying £600 to sort it.

At that point I was chuffed I'd sorted the bulb but slightly irrated (well, really irrated, but that's paled compared to today) I'd knacked the odometer settings. :mad:

One day later and the Xenon low beam bulb on that sides not working. :steam:

Renault Leeds have quoted £145 for the bulb and £76 to fit.
hids4u.co.uk have bulbs for £60 but I need the model type. Is it a D2R? And can it be fitted by a.n.other as I really don't want to give Renault my cash?

Any help (and sarcasm, even if it's just about SAFC, I'm used to it) greatfully received.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, and welcome.

Sorry to hear of these problems.

I'd be inclined to contact a few auto-electricians, they will be able to advise bulb type and quote for fitting.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Xenon faults can be the bulb or the ballast. You really need to know which before ordering parts. The bad news is that it's a bumper off job to get to the offending bits, but the good news is that the bumper's apparently not that tricky to remove, and access is easy once you've done that. You should be able to trace the fault by swapping components between the OS and NS lamps.

With it happening so soon after changing the sidelight bulb, I'd say it's most likely that you've disturbed a connector. If you're lucky, you won't need parts at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers all for your advice so far.

Thanks for website Mike4369. hids4u.co.uk looks reasonable too.

My local independant garage got a price of £145 from Renault for the bulb :) They were very nervous about fitting it at that price.

So I took Velsatisfieds advice and have visited my local auto spark at lunchtime. They've quoted £48+ vat for the bulb (that's trade price but they'll do it for joe public too) and a very reasonable rate for the labour. Looks like a £100 cheaper than Reg Vardy Leeds :moonie:

At that price Horatio if it turns out to be just a connector its worth it to have a spare, or I'll pass it on.

It's booked in tomorrow (Wednesday) so I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers folks

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
The HID will not light up the xenon bulb unless the small wire from the side light is connected to it, that could be your problem.

It is a bumper off and headlight removed to put it back on though.

I would have answered sooner but been away for a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The HID will not light up the xenon bulb unless the small wire from the side light is connected to it, that could be your problem.

It is a bumper off and headlight removed to put it back on though.

I would have answered sooner but been away for a few days.
Top tip Davesss, I'll get that checked. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Xenon faults can be the bulb or the ballast. You really need to know which before ordering parts. The bad news is that it's a bumper off job to get to the offending bits, but the good news is that the bumper's apparently not that tricky to remove, and access is easy once you've done that. You should be able to trace the fault by swapping components between the OS and NS lamps.

With it happening so soon after changing the sidelight bulb, I'd say it's most likely that you've disturbed a connector. If you're lucky, you won't need parts at all.
The good people at Sewell's in Leeds have said the same. They proved the bulbs ok but ran out of time to swap the ballast. I'll have a go myself at the weekend. Hopefully that will be ok and it's a connection somewhere. I now have a spare Xenon bulb but the price was 40% Renaults quote so I'm not too unhappy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts