Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have a renault scenic 2 on a 2004 / 04 reg please can anyone advise me on my current fault! I had my ac re gassed from kwik fit and all seemed fine but noticed it wasnt working properly.

My fan speed 1 had not been working for a while but didnt think it was a big deal to fix, as 2 3 and 4 were working fine.
Started using my AC after the re gas and noticed that when the AC is switched on and fan speed turned to 1 the AC compressor kicks in but theres no fan to blow the cold air in and as you turn the fan speed to 2 3 or 4 the fan starts blowing but the AC compressor kicks off, and the cold air eventually turns warm.
Anyone had same problem?

Read through the forum and keep getting the idea that its a rheostat / themistor or heater fan resistor fault. Are these all referring to the same thing? as i heard its a ***** to get too.
If so like to know what part i need to order and name of part and a bit of advise getting to it.
Any advise or suggestion would be appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had same problem last week just like yours.

the fault was on the blower resistor. It is located near to blower motor, beside pollen filter, under the bonnet.

the blower receive power from speed 4. otherwise, the AC receive power from speed 1.

the resistor are in series from speed1 to speed2 to speed3 and speed 4. yours, the resistor between speed 1 and speed2 is faulty, that's why when you select speed1, the AC receive power and turned on, and the blower is not powered. and when you select speed 2, the blower working, but because no connection(or poor) from speed2 to speed1, the AC are turned off.

to solve this problem, you can easily buy an new blower resistor, and install it. in my country, resistor blower's price is quite expensive, around 150USD. you can find this item on ebay too.

another way around, you can short connection between speed1 and speed2 cable. if you do this in your car, in your case, you will never have speed1 again. the blower speed will always at speed 2 whenever you select speed1 or speed 2. speed3 and speed4 will still remain normal. AC will work on all speed.

Hope this will help you.
Sorry for bad grammar / writing. English is not my home language.

Hi all, i have a renault scenic 2 on a 2004 / 04 reg please can anyone advise me on my current fault! I had my ac re gassed from kwik fit and all seemed fine but noticed it wasnt working properly.

My fan speed 1 had not been working for a while but didnt think it was a big deal to fix, as 2 3 and 4 were working fine.
Started using my AC after the re gas and noticed that when the AC is switched on and fan speed turned to 1 the AC compressor kicks in but theres no fan to blow the cold air in and as you turn the fan speed to 2 3 or 4 the fan starts blowing but the AC compressor kicks off, and the cold air eventually turns warm.
Anyone had same problem?

Read through the forum and keep getting the idea that its a rheostat / themistor or heater fan resistor fault. Are these all referring to the same thing? as i heard its a ***** to get too.
If so like to know what part i need to order and name of part and a bit of advise getting to it.
Any advise or suggestion would be appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes sounds like this is right! just to make sure is the part behind the dash or is there are other resistors elswhere.
The part from renault is £65 and they also recommend me change the wiring loom that goes in it as they have a updated version as the old one is prone to melt and cause fire. this part is £35. Just want to make sure these are the parts that needs changing as i dont want to go through the headach of pulling out the dashboard and still have the same problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
in my car (Clio) the blower resistor located under the bonnet. no need to pull out the dashboard. if I buy new resistor, it takes only about 10 minutes to install it. I don't know where the resistor located in your car.

in my country, renault is very-very rare. It's not easy to get spare part for clio. if there are any, the price is very expensive compared to another Japanese car. that's why I prefer to repair mine before I buy original spare part.

oh I remember. when my resistor damaged, I'm trying to figure out what makes it damaged. The resistor should not be this easy to be damaged. Then I remember, a few months back, if I turned on the AC for more than an hour, sometime the wind came out very slow, almost no wind, but the sound of the blower still the same. When I asked local garage about this problem, they said the evaporator need to be cleaned and easily freeze, that's why no wind came out from dashboard .
I didn't clean it, and then the resistor blew. that happened probably because the blower works harder when the evaporator freeze, too much current flowing through the resistor, and very little heat dissipated from the resistor.
if you have similar problem, I think it would be better to ask your local garage to clean your evaporator too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts