Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again, in my last post I asked about the problem im having with my 2001 Master 2.2dCi.

Just to reitterate, the problem was basically something like this :

The van will sit idling all day,take it for a drive, couple of miles down the road, its loses all power, lets out a lot of smoke and the engine rattles as the engine dies.

So as im stuck by the side of the road the engine will spin over no bother, but wont fire.Let it cool down and off it goes,big smokes then it cleares and the van drives fine for another wee while.
Tried disconnecting the EGR with no luck.
It uses no water and no oil.

So took it to my local Renault garage only to be told that they had put the diagnostic into it and it showed up no faults other than the EGR which they said would be because I had disconected it.
They also check all the wiring to ECU to make sure there was no breaks anywhere.

Now I was told by them, basically I need to replace the engine.:eek: They say it something going wrong when the engine gets up to temperature.Which is strange as it will idle till the sun goes down.So ive taken my van back and now Im Completely stuck.:(:(
Got a few opinons of a few other mechanics,some say the Crank sensor, ECU and even the pump!

Can anybody help me!?:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
As you dont have diagnostics your self to see what is happening in the live data as the prob starts
I would say start with the crank sensor take it out and give it a good clean as it sounds like you are loosing the rpm signal when the engine heats & speeds up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy reply!Excellent.

Can somebody perhaps tell where the crank senor is located?:eek:
Think this forum is faster than Google.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Hi, Crank sensor is in the bell housing towards the rear of the engine, (underneath) also check the camshaft sensor which is on the belt end of the engine about 10 cm down from the top and towards the front of the engine.
But from your description I would be doing a leak off test from the injectors it sound like you could have a Duff injector or maybe two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, had a look at it ealier today, crank and cam sensors appear sound.
Took EGR valve out and was coked up and stuck closed..could this be a contributing factor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Daveniki . I would remove and clean EGR although im new to all this deisel renault stuff and the forum thing just done my 1.9Dci EGR valve this weekend and mine is running like new now. would seem it is common fault with the renault dci`s and defo wont do any harm to do it .. Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts