Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys !!
Got in my car today started fine but after 20 yard s or so the battery low light and stop came on , its a relatively new battery got it earlier this year .... what could it be , i have checked altinator belt thats still there lol

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,096 Posts
Check the battery voltage when cold and again when the car is running with the battery light off and when it comes on.
When the light is on tap the alternator with the end of a stick and see if it goes out.
At eight years our alternator developed brush problems.

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brendan
will have a do at that tomorrow , have a Great New Year by the way x

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hello Polly, We've just had this with our Clio (mk3) and I'm pleased to say I succeeded in replacing the Alternator today!
I got a second hand one though, just to make sure the diagnosis was correct (it was) before I go and spend £300 on a new one. So I may be doing the job again in a while.
I couldn't buy a new one without the exact make & model number of the old alternator, and couldn't see that without taking it out. There are many different types.
What a painful job though (on the 1.6), front wheels off, wheel arch liners, front bumper, radiator deflector panel, de-tension the belt & take it off, unbolt the air-con pump and lower it, then unbolt the alternator (3 bolts) and it just fits through the front of the car. Then the reverse to put it all back.
I had to go out mid-job and buy a low-profile 16mm socket for the tensioner (the normal socket doesn't fit, not enough clearance to the inner wing).
But a good feeling once done!

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Polly, We've just had this with our Clio (mk3) and I'm pleased to say I succeeded in replacing the Alternator today!
I got a second hand one though, just to make sure the diagnosis was correct (it was) before I go and spend £300 on a new one. So I may be doing the job again in a while.
I couldn't buy a new one without the exact make & model number of the old alternator, and couldn't see that without taking it out. There are many different types.
What a painful job though (on the 1.6), front wheels off, wheel arch liners, front bumper, radiator deflector panel, de-tension the belt & take it off, unbolt the air-con pump and lower it, then unbolt the alternator (3 bolts) and it just fits through the front of the car. Then the reverse to put it all back.
I had to go out mid-job and buy a low-profile 16mm socket for the tensioner (the normal socket doesn't fit, not enough clearance to the inner wing).
But a good feeling once done!
Hi there only just seen this !!
I'm glad you got it sorted , my saga still rumbles on , only this morning did i manage to get it to the garage he had ordered the part from main dealer he thought it had arrived , when i got there it hadn't , and he later phoned to tell me the agent said it would be a further weeks wait as it was coming from France with a price tag of ..wait for it .. £539 58 !! to say i was shocked would be an understatement .. hold your horses i cried lol !! he wasn't too surprised ! he is going to take the original off tomorrow to get the numbers and I'm going to try to source one myself ..a second hand one and yeah like you i will take my chances , and he did say it will be a bugger of a job !

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,096 Posts
Have you an auto electrical shop local? The kind that rebuilds starters and alternators.
Our alternator needed a brush job, cost about fifty quid.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
Don't know if any use to you and there may well be someone closer.......but if you can get the alternator (I assume that is what is needed) to Birmingham, this is my "go to" guy.
Car electrics | Rotating Electrics Ltd (rotating-electrics.co.uk)
Refurbed alternator on my Kia years back and recently supplied a recon starter for me, have pointed plenty of people in his direction and never heard a complaint.
Prices are reasonable, certainly a lot less then 500 squids and IMO a refurb done properly is better then a second hand with no history.
If you decide to try, have a chat on the phone, he will refurb while you wait but you may need to schedule...there is a local shopping mall so would not be hanging about in the rain...... not sure if he does postal but would be effin about with couriers and heavy parcels so prob not worth it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi Polly,
Wow, over £500!! Definitely worth considering your options.
Like Brendan & DDad say, you could re-furb the current one, but you still need to get it out of the car.
Ebay alternators are about £40 "used" or £120 re-furbished. New ones from a factor are about £330.. So I'm not really surprised Renault want over £500. If they do the labour as well you will get a bill nearly £1,000 with the VAT.
The DIY job is long-winded but well worth it. Nothing particularly technically difficult about it, but it will take a few hours if you're unfamiliar with the parts.

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dancingdad for the idea of a refurbed alternator , i managed to get one from a place in Plymouth i sent them a pic of mine and they had one with 18 month warranty for £130 delivered next day , i ordered it at 1 pm yesterday it was at the garage for 9 30 am this morning !! brilliant service , £120 for the fitting ..so a lot cheaper than the new one from France and a longer warranty by 6 months !! it was good to get in my own car again i can tell you ! the garage was impressed with the company and will use them again im sure ,

·
23,233 Posts
Fair enough.
Can't argue with the service or warrantee offered.
Now to see if your low battery issues go away...they should

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bloody hope so , it was ok coming home last night , going to go out for a drive so fingers crossed

·
Registered
826 Posts
Great; pleased you got it sorted, and for a reasonable price! :)
As a matter of interest, did you replace the belt and/or tensioner as well?
On ours I did those as they were already at least 5 years old. Belt was about £12, tensioner about £50.

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great; pleased you got it sorted, and for a reasonable price! :)
As a matter of interest, did you replace the belt and/or tensioner as well?
On ours I did those as they were already at least 5 years old. Belt was about £12, tensioner about £50.
TBH i dont know !! i will ask !! should i be worried again ? !! i dont think he will have as i didnt pay for any of those items

·
23,233 Posts
Dunno that you should be worried but worth asking.
If over 5 years old, really needs a change anyway.
Good practice is to change the belt if it is disturbed, at least should have inspected belt, pulleys and tensioner.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
TBH i dont know !! i will ask !! should i be worried again ? !! i dont think he will have as i didnt pay for any of those items
GET it changed quickly. not supposed to refit ANY belts on a Renault, once removed

·
Registered
clio 1.5 dci 2012
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dunno that you should be worried but worth asking.
If over 5 years old, really needs a change anyway.
Good practice is to change the belt if it is disturbed, at least should have inspected belt, pulleys and tensioner.
it had a new timing belt put on at 82000 miles and its just done 88000 so it should be ok as a new tensioner will have been replaced then wouldnt it ?

·
23,233 Posts
it had a new timing belt put on at 82000 miles and its just done 88000 so it should be ok as a new tensioner will have been replaced then wouldnt it ?
If the garage follows good practice, would be normal to fit a new tensioner.
If a fly by night outfit, your guess is as good as mine.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
They wont have touched your timing belt, just your aux belt
Problem is, the tensioner never sets the old belt after its been removed
This allows the belt to Bounce, and the belt has been known to get under cam cover and destroy these engines

1 - 20 of 26 Posts