Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had camshaft belt replaced 20,000k's ago, on my Renault Scenic 2001 petrol car, then had auxillary belt changed 4 months ago. this belt shredded and a bit got in under cover and cambelt goes, bingo! Whilst repairing my car, they have broken the crankshaft pulley, is this repairable, or worth repairing.
Anyone else had this happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have they broken the actual pulley, or stripped the threads holding the pulley onto the crankshaft? The latter being an expensive and time consuming job, will probably involve changing the crankshaft.

If it's just a broken pulley then that should be repaired very easily.

Either way i wouldn't of thought it would be your problem, if they broke it they should fix it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My understanding is that it is just the pulley. They just seem to have lost interest in ever getting this car back on the road, the longer it goes on the harder it is to define reasonable costs.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Thanks. My understanding is that it is just the pulley. They just seem to have lost interest in ever getting this car back on the road, the longer it goes on the harder it is to define reasonable costs.
Be careful thinking this is 'just the pulley'

I believe a new pulley - available only from Renault, costs over £100 and to re-fit it they would need to reset the cambelt timing (& according to Renault, replace the cam belt, cambelt idler & tensioner - another £100 for parts)

The garage that broke the pulley should replace it FOC along with the cam belt & pulleys - make em!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for your interest. I am sinking under confusion here. I have had seeral stories as to the delay. Apparently, from what I am led to believe, all bits n pieces (valves etc) had been rebuilt, it was as all this was about to go in it seems that they were taking off this pulley to get new camshaft belt on?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Hi, thanks for your interest. I am sinking under confusion here. I have had seeral stories as to the delay. Apparently, from what I am led to believe, all bits n pieces (valves etc) had been rebuilt, it was as all this was about to go in it seems that they were taking off this pulley to get new camshaft belt on?
Their story does not ring quite true!

If they have removed the cylinder head in order to replace some valves (which I take it you are saying), then they MUST have already removed the old cam belt & in order to remove that they must have already removed the crank pulley - so why did they "break the pulley to get new camshaft belt on?" Doesn't add up :confused:

·
Premium Member
24,247 Posts
The crankshaft pulley is in 2 parts bonded together with hard rubber and have been known to fail on their own. If the bonding has failed then it may not be their fault but if there is a bit missing where someone has mistreated it - thats a different matter. I suggest you ask to see the offending component.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, help and general info is not readily available in Oz and so appreciate how technology to communicate with others, helps in situations like this. They have acknowledged that they "broke" it. Now a long wait for parts. None here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Holdens are still running down here. Many of the cars are badged Euros, Vectra is a Vauxhall I think, the big V6 is not the most popular at the moment, but the white holden ute, is still the most sort after trades car. They have the Zaffira badged as a Holden car as well. I will keep you posted...just have to wait for the parts to arrive from France! Start looking at what to buy next. Thinking of an M class diesel Benz?

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I had a crankshaft pulley fixed under warranty on the lag and it came in at £440 - about A$900? The part was £200 and I think they add some labour for the warranty company. On the 2.2 its completly unconnected to the cambelt - the cambelt does not need retensioning, but on some engines this does need to be done which would make it a more expensive job.

The pulley just failed, no warning although its possible the AC is running a bit quieter since....

Hope you sort it - this is a great place for advice!

:d

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I think this is going to be long winded and costly.
the team at Renault accept that they broke it. All belts were off when they did this, I trust that they accept the cost! than heavens it happened to you under warranty. This has been an excellent way to get some information here in Australia.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Knowing what you're talking about when you're talking to the garage is normally handy in negotiating the price of the outcome :d

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree, I am now wondering if I should not get a price for work undertaken to this point, on a fully documented invoice. Also a proper written quote for the proposed work before it all starts? (Whilst waiting for the part to arrive).
The trouble is in car currency, one unit is = to $1,000-00.
I could easily spend over and above what the car is worth, if not careful.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I agree, I am now wondering if I should not get a price for work undertaken to this point, on a fully documented invoice. Also a proper written quote for the proposed work before it all starts? (Whilst waiting for the part to arrive).
The trouble is in car currency, one unit is = to $1,000-00.
I could easily spend over and above what the car is worth, if not careful.
Yep get it all documented in detail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all. I will put this on Wednesdays "to do list". Not the thing to leave till I get that "aroundtuit"

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Thanks all. I will put this on Wednesdays "to do list". Not the thing to leave till I get that "aroundtuit"
I've always wanted a round tuit, ever since I saw my friend's.

Sadly, I haven't got a round tuit yet.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I had a crankshaft pulley fixed under warranty on the lag and it came in at £440 - about A$900? The part was £200 and I think they add some labour for the warranty company.
:d

if that was the price for the parts etc then it will be even more expensive to be done at retail (customer costs) because warranty get a very good discounted rate on parts and labour

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
if that was the price for the parts etc then it will be even more expensive to be done at retail (customer costs) because warranty get a very good discounted rate on parts and labour
No it was a third party (AA) warranty not Renault, costs £67 and they pay the first £500 of up to 5 jobs per year - phew. Once the *********** knew this they priced it at 440. Can't see you'd pay much less for the parts though - AA cut the belt free and so a new belt and pulley....

:shocking:

... happened when manu played chelski for the euro final. 7 pints later I had to get up 5 in the morning and drive it 15 miles with no power steering to the dealer

:franco:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts