Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys got a 02 plate clio dci, it had a small problem of the first turn of the key it wouldnt start (totally dead), now after it sat on my drive for a month its dead completely, i disconnected the battery for 2 weeks, charged it, put it back, sanded all the relays/fuses in the engine bay free of any corrosion, and now its even worse. Now the Central Locking doesnt work, doesnt work from the key or the button inside and also my indicators and hazards are dead, still doesnt even attempt to start, anyone any ideas its such a good car until now

Mark

D

·
0 Posts
If you can tell us of any test that could be performed on the alternator without the engine running it would be a great help to many members.:)
Remove from car, drive to auto electricians (in another car) and have it tested :d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Remove from car, drive to auto electricians (in another car) and have it tested :d

Most cars will start with a faulty alternator - if not at least the ignition system should work. In this case there was insufficient voltage to even unlock the car or illuminate lights so it would be prudent to have the battery load tested first. And taking the battery out would be a lot easier than removing the alternator. Most decent battery suppliers will do a test for free in the hope of gaining a sale.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got a feeling there is a way of doing it by measuring the voltage coming of the battery terminal with a multimeter off the top of my head i cant remember what the read out is meant to be, but like the post above said its unlikely that you would be able to open and unlock the car all the time with a duff alternator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts