Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, let me apologize first as know this comes up so many times. I have 2005 1.6 petrol scenic, last week me and 8 year old son out for drive when engine cuts out, everything dead, get towed back home and start car and get check emissions and check ignition warning lights. So changed all of the coils and plugs also did this three months ago. Car runs okay yesterday, then off to work today runs okay for few miles then same warning lights again and starts juddering really badly, loosing power then kicking in then loosing power. I cant afford putting into garage as just spent 8 months on sick after being badly attacked at work so absolutely broke. Son coming to stay with me again in two weeks time and wants to go camping so need to get this fixed, any help would be much appreciated by both of us, just feel like sending it to scrapyard.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
I had very similar with my old Ford, it turned out to be rotten alternator cable so not charging the battery properly. Meant it sometimes ended up running on battery only until that went flat then exact same symptoms as you describe. It was intermittent tho so took ages to finally work out what was really going on.

HTH

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,844 Posts
This could be anything electrical going open circuit when hot..
Dont know how much your area would charge for a diagnostic,,
But if you can afford an elm interface, with 1.5 firmware, then you should be able to scan the engine yourself.
A few sellers , include a basic obd scanner software,,, not, by any means the best software, but most petrol engines can be read with these...

We could turn around, and say , map sensor intake sensor, engine coolant sensor.
But should you buy all these , and it still the same, then pounds spent , and no closer to finding the fault

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying so quickly, £76 to have diagnostic at local garage, will that tell me exactly problem, as can do any work myself if I know whats wrong. I am going to get big compensation package from work, was nearly killed by a service user, but will take another 6 months to sort out, so need to keep this car going. I actually like the car, with back seats out its ideal for us huge amount of room, but nothing but problems since bought it, heater only works on 1 and 2, windows dont wind up , just take everything electrical out and its not a bad car.

·
Super Moderator
6,170 Posts

·
39,844 Posts
Would not like say yes, (to will it tell you the fault.).
It should lead you in the right direction...
But it could show a host of faults, and each could be throwing something off..
This is when it comes down to the data being read..
Its normal practise, identify the fault,, note it, then clear faults, and see what,if any return...
Then if it comes back, this should lead to the sensor playing silly.
But if the sensor is ok at times, it is harder to identify , unless the fault can be made to reappear ...

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,530 Posts
if i was being penny pinching as members know i do :wink2:
15-20 squid will get you the elm type device another member talked about or better still if you can find anyone in your area that has one then you will have that £76 to spend on parts
the down side is not many readers will give you all the info on renaults
Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, just spoke to a friend, he has a U480 CAN-Bus OB11 reader (sorry if that's advertising) he bought off amazon but hasn't used yet, is this what will do job of reading faults, he says it has all codes in booklet he got with it, will try it on Wednesday when off, nothing to loose and can't damage anything can I?, did get told off garage last time I changed coils and plugs three months ago that cheap readers/scanners can damage ECU ?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,751 Posts
Thanks, just spoke to a friend, he has a U480 CAN-Bus OB11 reader (sorry if that's advertising) he bought off amazon but hasn't used yet, is this what will do job of reading faults, he says it has all codes in booklet he got with it, will try it on Wednesday when off, nothing to loose and can't damage anything can I?, did get told off garage last time I changed coils and plugs three months ago that cheap readers/scanners can damage ECU ?
People trying to change things with cheap readers damage ECUs (or the programming)
Never heard of scanning for errors causing an issue.
Just follow the instructions and don't plug in or unplug with ignition on.
Let us know what errors come up...make a note before clearing.
And which return?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all, got home from 24 hour shift, walked dog, then looked at big lump of red mettle, here goes. So plugged scanner in, nothing, you said don't plug in with ignition on, how do you do this with card key? if you put card key in after plugging in scanner you get error code, what I found worked was, unplug scanner and start engine, switch off but leave key in then plug scanner. I got two codes come up,
1/ P0300 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
2/ P0335 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
Question - is 1/ causing 2/ and if I replace the sensor will this cure the problem. Looking at Hayes manual not to difficult to replace. Would this be the answer to why ive had to change coils and plugs three times in the last year. Thanks for all help so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a renault kangoo van and I was on the motorway when mine died on me turned out to be the main fuses loseing connection as they were green and not getting a good contact cleaned then all up and she ran like a train they do suffer white bad fuse faults

·
39,844 Posts
Hi all, got home from 24 hour shift, walked dog, then looked at big lump of red mettle, here goes. So plugged scanner in, nothing, you said don't plug in with ignition on, how do you do this with card key? if you put card key in after plugging in scanner you get error code, what I found worked was, unplug scanner and start engine, switch off but leave key in then plug scanner. I got two codes come up,
1/ P0300 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
2/ P0335 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
Question - is 1/ causing 2/ and if I replace the sensor will this cure the problem. Looking at Hayes manual not to difficult to replace. Would this be the answer to why ive had to change coils and plugs three times in the last year. Thanks for all help so far.
Clear the codes first, give your car a run, see what comes back with another scan....

·
Super Moderator
13,633 Posts
Have cleared the codes, drove a short distance sounds like a bag of bones, same codes -
P0300
P0335
P0300 Is the one. It is NOT saying the sensor is faulty.
It IS saying the wiring is faulty. That is where to look. without a decent reference signal, the ECU cannot make decisions.

·
39,844 Posts
Did it give any other numbers, at the end of the P0 codes.
If yes can you post these also

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi went out and scanned again this is exactly what comes up
Faults : 02
Ped :02
then scroll down and this is how codes show
P 0335
01/04

P 0300
02/04

P 0300
02/04

P 0300
03/04

P 0300
03/04
hope this helps, son coming tomorrow, first thing he'l say is it fixed can we go away, don't want to let him down appreciate all your help.

·
39,844 Posts
Trying to decipher the codes,, only thing I can come up with is an inconsistent signal, for the 300, ( missfire detected) but in relation with your P0335, Crankshaft sensor, signal/wiring.
Would be tempted to change the TDC sensor first.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts