Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I have 1999 2.0 Megane Scenic RT which has recently developed the following faults:

When at idle the car seems to be miss firing and is shuddering, when driving the car sounds like a tractor and has lost power. I don't have any warning lights on the dashboard, I have changed the spark plugs and HT leads and tried injector cleaner but still the problem persists.

Also the speedo works when it wants too!! It works when the car is first started then after some time the needle drops to zero and the odometer stays on the same reading,
then it starts and stops working at will.

I hope someone can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Megane Scenic Engine Losing Power

Hi,
I have 1999 2.0 Megane Scenic RT which has recently developed the following faults:

When at idle the car seems to be miss firing and is shuddering, when driving the car sounds like a tractor and has lost power. I don't have any warning lights on the dashboard, I have changed the spark plugs and HT leads and tried injector cleaner but still the problem persists.

Also the speedo works when it wants too!! It works when the car is first started then after some time the needle drops to zero and the odometer stays on the same reading,
then it starts and stops working at will.

I hope someone can help.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'm guessing it's an 8 valve engine?

Sounds like a coil is beginning to fail.I think I'm right in saying that there is one coil per pair of cylinders,so you need to work out which one is faulty.

I would get this looked at before too long as if you continue to drive the car you will damage the catalytic converter in the exhaust system which will make the job much more expensive to sort out.

EDIT:Re-your speedo problem,does the ABS light come on when the speedo stops working?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Please see your other thread.

I suspect a moderator will be along in a moment to merge your threads.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply I think you are right about the coil.
Regarding the other fault:
There are no warning lights on when the speedo stops

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'm not 100% sure,but if your car has ABS,then the speedo takes it reading from it,so if the ABS light stays off it has to be a fault in the wiring or the dash it's self.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would I find out where the fault is?
Is there anything I can do to eliminate one of the causes you mention or is it a case of letting a mechanic solve it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts