Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im new here and in need of some help
my car is a 2005 laguna dci 1.9 120bhp
rite here goes a few weeks back the car started to smoke\burn oil as turbo was on its way out i removed down pipe and air intake on turbo to conferm this so started looking for a turbo look all over and decided to upgrade to a gt1852v as i have a few more things i planed to do after this stage for more power got a realy good used one localy and set about the convertion :eek: after working my way through alot of fitting problems it was installed other than the exhaust i reconected the battery and tryed to start the car stright away i noticed that the glow plug light was on (in the 5 months of owning it ive never seen it before )and the car would turn over untill the light went out as it did the car turned over and started but was very lumpy and is smoking badly but not oil its unburnt diesel very strong parafin smell and could hear the turbo starting to spool and then stop then start over and over it seamed to smoke less when turbo was spooling it dicided to take it down the road to see if it cleared as it did when it got hotter also noticed at this point that temp guage was not working it drove very very flat but if given very light throttle it did boost a little and if you keep foot down it seam to brake through at about 3000rpm and boosts but its all over feels like its on off on off should i have used\adapted my vnt acuator to fit this turbo as i just fitted it with the one it came with and it is alot bigger that the stock one ...... please help guys :d:d:d:d

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,070 Posts
Nothing positive but....

Bigger turbo = more air getting to inlets even without the beast spooling up.
Possibly messed up fuel air balance.
Turbo gate actuator. Is it working or not
What have you done to tune the beast for a bigger turbo. The ECU is expecting certain parameters and doubt it's seeing them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be honest ive ran a generic remap and also stock and still very rough, have managed to track and fix temp guage was a broken wire at the sender this has also made glow plugs act normal again and yes vnt acuator is working but def not in its normal way it seam to feel like its building massive boost but just before it would start to pull it hesatates almost rite on the edge of boost the it will drop off all together and loose all power but if still hold it down and wait around the 2500-2700rmp it dose actualy boost its only low but dose pull for a good 1000rpm then will drop off all over again im at a loss with it as ive only had the car 8weeks and as in trying to fault find its as if its all broke lol egr is broken the reading from the maf on my snap on solus are pritty sus too by the way what is the best way to blank\disconect this egr system is i spin it 180" to block the hole will the ecu read a low flow at egr for a given cycle or will it just read the fact that its conected to the wirering and that the solonoid can move free ??

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,070 Posts
ECU only reads that EGR has moved the amount it expected, ie full open or closed.
Many report turning a good one works with no wiring change.

For the rest?
Duff MAF sensor will create problems so probably isn't helping if it is faulty.

Turbo.
In old days with a carb, a turbo could be added with little or no tweaks. The added air flow would drag added fuel out of the carb.
Now, fuel injection has to be told to add extra to suit the added air.
I may be wrong but would have thought a full remap would be needed.
Hopefully others more expert will advise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at last im finaly making some progress and i was actual way off the mark i was under bonnet ov the laguna with my mates car next to it and the bonnet was up on his (why we had em up side by side as his is petrol turbo and in no way the same)but bk on track i seen the signal pipe for his boost guage and it got me thinking so i said to him could we pull the guage outa his dash and see what my car was doing in real tearms and it was mad i fired car up and stright away the guage was like sort of just floating at about 2-3psi on idle as soon as i touched the peddal !!!! it hit 41psi!! at about 1350rpm but also droped off realy realy quick and to cut this short ive moddified my vnt17 acuator to fit this turbo and also wound rod rite out and adjusted the stop screw like magic it would rev with no smoke or misfire\cutting rev out i ran out time so not set it properly at all boost way too late but had a quick drive and it quick and when it boost it boosts and never seams to run outa puff the rev limiter kills it before the big surge of power dose lol in all im impressed to be honest its noy even my car its my wifes i bought it cheap and the turbo was on its way out any way with just a 170quid its a new car its quicker than my a6 tdi 2.5 v6 and its been mapped by revo !!! and the gt1852v i bought wasent that far off for fit you can adapt the old vnt1749v manifold to take the vnt 18 oil feed pipe is the same and so is flange on the drain but the oe one is to short

1 - 7 of 7 Posts