Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have an 03 plate, 1.4 petrol, Scenic.
(appologies if this is posted in the wrong section)
Yesterday, for the first time ever, the car didn't start first time, it thought about it & then cut out. Second time it started with a bit of rev and was then fine. I drove it round for a bit then parked it up until this morning.
So I started it up today, just to make sure it was OK and it started first time, however, I noticed that, whilst stationary, the MPG calculator and the 'miles to refueling' (?) calculator were both counting down like a clock (the fuel tank is 3/4 full).
I drove around for a bit and both calculators started counting up, but began counting down again every time I stopped at traffic lights.
I know NOTHING about cars, so my questions really are;
Is this a major problem?
Would the counting down be connected to the poor starting?
If the calculators count down to zero, would the engine cut out?
Thanks from a newbie....

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,910 Posts
The MPG display will count down when stopped with engine running as it's still using fuel but not going anywhere.

Reactions: graysgooner

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,498 Posts
Sounds like an electrical issue.

Start simple, check battery terminals are clean and tight.
Also reach behind dashboard area and check under carpets for any wet, damp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like an electrical issue.

Start simple, check battery terminals are clean and tight.
Also reach behind dashboard area and check under carpets for any wet, damp.
Thanks, figured to check the terminals. More concerned that the two things were connected.

·
Administrator
13,200 Posts
If I had just reset the counters in my megane I always noticed that they changed very quickly whether I was stopped at traffic lights or on the move, however once I had done a good few miles they would stabilise again.

Have you reset the counters? Or has the battery been disconnected?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I had just reset the counters in my megane I always noticed that they changed very quickly whether I was stopped at traffic lights or on the move, however once I had done a good few miles they would stabilise again.

Have you reset the counters? Or has the battery been disconnected?
No, but I am thinking there might be a problem with the battery hence the poor start yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts