Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We´ve just replaced one piston and cylinder head and removed high pressure pump (changed the gear) for the P9X-701 engine (3.0d) and after we´ve but all back together started the anomality :rant: :

When You crank/start the engine first time for some period of time (15min) it starts for 3 sec and dies out. If you start it again pretty much immediatley it dies out as soon as it starts (1 sec) but it starts.

What we´ve done:
1) first we tought it was air in fuel system, cause as we´ve cranked it we could see air bubbles coming from the fuel return line from the block. We used hand pump and cranked it so many times and got rid of the air.

2) we´ve cheked the heater plugs. They´re ok.

3) cause its cold country that I live in (vebruary was pretty much -25) and in the fuel tank was summer disel we changed it to winter disel. Also drained the filter for water... benefit zero :|

Could somone suggest what to do/check next? Or what could be the problem???
Why the engine starts and dies out immediately?

Could it be the high pressure pump? Could it be a bolt that we made ourselves for the fuel line (hollow inside) only diffrence from the original bolt and the bolt we made is that we only drilled one horisontal hole instead of two?

thanks for advance

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I thought I'd come accross most problems with the P9X engine but not heard anything like this one before.

I'm not sure it sounds like the high pressure pump, they tend to die gradually with the first symptoms being intermittent loss of power, followed by difficulty starting and finally a total lack of acceleration.

Any dashboard messages / warning lights? Any smoke when it does start?

If you have done any work on the high pressure diesel pump it could need recalibrating (the injectors should be done as well)

The only thing I can think of is EGR valve, the valve should close whilst the engine starts and once it is running should begin to open depending on engine load, temperature etc. If the engine is overfuelling this could lead to excessive smoke in the exhaust manifold being sucked back through the egr as soon as it opens, killing combustion.

I'll admit I'm clutching at straws a bit, but other than an ECU failure I can't think of much else.

Reactions: jay0064

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
or maybe having found another straw to clutch at, perhaps a faulty idle control? Will it run if you depress the accelerator slightly as you start it?

Madnoel may know more about it (cause unlike me he's clever!), but i think the idle control on the P9X is electronic and prgrammed by CLiP

Reactions: jay0064

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply(Y), p9x is a marvellous engine:d

but unfortunately there are no warning lights that come on dashboard :S...pressing the accelerator makes no diffrence just rpm goes up for a sec and still dies out :S...
on the high pressure pump all we did was open one bolt on the body of the pump.. you think now we need to calibrate it? Or how do you even calibrate it?

smoke coming from the exhaust is light blue...

But if its EEC-s failure should there be some kind of dasboard warning message or something?

And thanks for the egr tip, next time ill go to garage ill remove it and clean it and see what happens.

i also had a bit of new information: the guy i work with told me he forgot to fill the oil filter bowl with oil, and that started me thinking maybe its something with the oil system cause we also removed the oil sump and maybe we´d but the inside of the sump back togheter some wrong way :S is there any chance to some how block the oil delivery line from the sump ? ... or maybe its the oil pump that wont deliver the oil so the pistons get too hot and so on... so on... is there at least a bit of logic in my thought :S....or am i just on the point where my brain is becoming disillusional:S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts