Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello please bear with me,

I've had issues with my 05 1.6 scenic starting some time ago with the dash going out briefly and the clock resetting however it still drove, then after a run to the coast when the weather got warmer I switched off the ignition to get dinner then tried to restart it, and turned over real slow as if the battery was flat had to bump start it and went fine until it happened again. I bought a new battery but the problem was still apparent. I started it the other day and ran the engine to use a compressor to air my tyres, switched it off and got the family ready to go out, tried starting it and nothing, wouldn't even turn over so I took the battery out and charged it as I thought maybe the alternator wasn't doing it's job but still nothing. All there is now is a whine in the ECU. I've plugged in an ODBII reader and no apparent codes other than a/c pressure sensor and 3 airbag codes (the check airbag warning has been on for a bit too). This seems like an electrical fault but I'm not very experienced and could really use some help in diagnosing and ticking off possibilities before taking it in somewhere as cash is tight right now.

Thank you for sticking with me and any help will be massively appreciated.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
What does "nothing" mean, dash not lighting? nothing works interior lights etc?
As a starter
Have you checked the connections to the battery terminals are secure and clean and the cables/ crimps are good with no corrosion.
Also check the condition of all the earth straps from battery negative to the chassis, corrosion comment at crimps also applies.
What measurements did you do before changing the battery? Did you have the old battery checked under load with a proper battery tester. A lot of places will do that for free if they think you are going to buy a battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Nothing meaning not starting, dash is on. I thorougly cleaned the terminals of the old battery and also the connections including the earth straps. The wires and connections looked good also. I did not have the battery tested under load.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,604 Posts
Clock resetting is generally a sign of either battery disconnection or, what amounts to the same thing, the voltage falling too low. If the battery and connections check out the next suspect would be a bad starter motor.
Did you check the condition of the earth strap terminals at the bottom end at the chassis leg and the block?

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,604 Posts
I did yes, when starter motors fail they just click right?
Chance would be a fine thing :)
They have a full range of tricks when they go bad including drawing too much current and just not wanting to turn.
They wear out eventually. Periods of long cranking due to low battery state don't help.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,042 Posts
Keycard? If so, does the dash and clock screen go out briefly when you press the button, then come back on after a second or two, without starting? If so, try the starter solenoid tag. It may be corroded.
But eliminate the other stuff first- it's a drag to fix. DAMHIK.
If it turns out to be that, might as well change the starter. Snag is, you have to take the starter out to diagnose it, and you don't want to be laying out the dough for a new one if it's not that, unless you can return it. Although we got a no-name one for £50 new off ebay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just found a video on Youtube titled ''Renault Scenic fails to start'' by Jon Magnason. This is the exact noise it makes if you watch it. If it remains dry I will take off the motor tomorrow to check it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The aforementioned ''whine'' that I thought was coming from the ECU is actually coming from the back of the block the starter motor I assume. My apologies this is my first foray into engine repairs. I read it could be down to a blown start stop fuse which I checked this evening and that is fine and double checked the earth leads and battery cables they all appear fine. I am going to remove the starter motor tomorrow and test it with some jump cables to see if the motor spins beyond that I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
There's a noise coming from the starter motor when it isn't energised?? or do you mean only when you turn the key to start?
Before you remove it carefully check the connections.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
When the button is pushed and clutch depressed to start.
Ahh OK, either it isn't getting enough current (bad connections/earth strap etc.) or it's knackered.
Try jumpstart from another car, does it change?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just finished taking the thing off what a ballache that was, anyhow attatched it to a battery and it would appear it is kaput so I have ordered a new one. The saga continues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just finished taking the thing off what a ballache that was, anyhow attatched it to a battery and it would appear it is kaput so I have ordered a new one. The saga continues.
If they are anything like a kangoo/clio you have done really well as they are not easy, blood and profanities everywhere and its not going to be easy to get the new one on so when done make time for a couple of beers!!!!!
All the best

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So.... Installed new starter motor after much effing and jeffing and removal of half the manifold heat shield it fired up first time. Do I really need it do you think? Beer in hand as I type.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts