Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i really want to change my mk2 1.2 8v engine to a bigger, more powerful engine. I've herd its difficult but that dont bother me. I was wondering what do i have to change in detail and can i use and renault clio mk3 2.0L engine? i alos want a 16v engine rather than 8v. What would i have to change for that to?? Thanks for reading i look forward to knowing what to do... :d

G

·
Like you said a load of work and then there will more than likely be issues with insurance as they don't like you messing around.

but if your hell bent then IMO the most cost effective way would to get a written off Clio 172/182 and swap everything over as the wiring loom and ECU will definitely be different between the 8v and 16v engine. Gear box and drive shafts will different

Radiator will be different and possibly the front cross member. The exhaust will be different as will the suspension and probably the brakes on the 2.0 Clio will be uprated. The list just goes on but nothings impossible :d

The 2.0 Clio engine IIRC up to around 2005 is the same as fitted in the Scenic from 1999 to 2003 as they have auxiliary driven water pumps.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
I like someone with ambition - this is not an easy route.

Before you start the ball rolling, you might want to make enquiries with your insurer, to see how much your premium will rise (or if they will refuse to cover you).

Another option might just be to buy a 'hot clio' - it may be a whole lot less hassle & cheaper too.

Its a lot more than swapping an engine/gearbox/driveshafts/exhaust & some electrics - you will need the suspension & brakes also (as its a bit irresponsible to increase the weight & power, but run everything else as standard).

If you can find a donor which has been T-boned, rolled, or rear-ended, you would be best to buy the car complete, and start stripping your own down & fitting components from the donor car.

Obviously, this isn't a job to be done in a weekend, more like a month (at least). Nor at the roadside.

Some costs can be offset by selling parts from both cars, which aren't needed.

HTH

Some would just stick a few badges on the car, so congratulations on trying to make it 'do what it says on the tin'.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not worth the effort there is far more to it then just dropping in the lump. You would be safer, probably cheaper and certainly quicker and easier to just buy a different model as that then will have the other components uprated to match the extra power and weight such as brakes and suspension.

What I would suggest before you do anything though is get some insurance quotes as I suspect that you may be in for a shock :confused:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
another plea to speak to your insurer first, I think it is quite likely that mainstream insurers will not cover you if you make such a radical change to the engine for the very reason stated, there are components throughout the drive train, suspension and braking system which must be uprated too.

If cross members or any other chassis component has to be changed then you will also require an SVA test prior to putting it back on the road.

Whilst it sounds like a fascinating project it worries me that you will end up with something which could be unsafe, unless you have made all of those upgrades you need to. You could also end up with something which is almost uninsurable, and almost unsellable if you want to get rid.

You could also end up spending a whole heap of cash and end up with a car which is never going to be as good, or as desirable as the vehicle you stripped the components out of.

If we haven't managed to put you off, then go for it, and keep us updated, it sounds like great fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.