Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi over the last few weeks ive been getting a slit knock from the front drivers side now and then, on closer inspection it think its the lower ball joint it has a little play in it so went to my local motor factors to get one at the cost of £15+vat.The type that is on my car is the knock out type with spleens on it which i have never done will i need heat before knocking it out or would i be best just taking the complete wishbone out and then knock it over the vice cheers all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
you may need a ball joint splitter.ive done a few in my time .if you can place a bottle jack under the wish bone with just enough pressure to slighly lift it, a good crack with a lump hammer or a mars bar;) should do the trick good luck don.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont bring it to the meet then eh ...

Regards

Ottoman
Only if you do not behave yourself:d i will be doing next week iam not doing it out here in the wet wind and i have no chance on earth i would even fit a matchbox car in the garage so i will wait till next week till the weather picks up finger XXXXX

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you may need a ball joint splitter.ive done a few in my time .if you can place a bottle jack under the wish bone with just enough pressure to slighly lift it, a good crack with a lump hammer or a mars bar;) should do the trick good luck don.
Hi 5th wheel thanks thats what my first option was going to be by placing alittle presure under the wish bone then alittle heat on the ball joint round the spleens and then the BIG CHAP OUT FINGERSxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive just had a thought the car is still under warrenty i got a years gold with it last September but iam wondering if the balljoint will be covered as it a moving part if you know what i mean, i would of thought not what do you think

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Probably classed as wear and tear Donald.:(.It's worth asking though!:)

I've never changed a lower joint on an Espace,so I can't offer any real advice.....:eek:.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Take some pics and do a how to post Donald if you tackle it yourself.

Other Members might get some use from it.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably classed as wear and tear Donald.:(.It's worth asking though!:)

I've never changed a lower joint on an Espace,so I can't offer any real advice.....:eek:.
Hi Lag ,god you being beat thats a first;) it looks strait forward i thought it would have been one of them drill the new bolts out job and them replace it with the new ball joint with nuts but it seems all i need to do is take the ball joint nut off and break the ball joint grip from where it is placed and then knock it out by hitting it from the top and it will then pop out and then replace with the new one making sure the spleens all line up,i will ask before i go ahead and do the job just in case and i will keep the ball joint for the other side for when it goes all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Please don't include any pictures of your 50oz big boy though....it's not that kind of site.:d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please don't include any pictures of your 50oz big boy though....it's not that kind of site.:d
If a recall you said recently you like it from the rear, you better watch out the 50oz big boy is about:rofl: :d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
(Note to self.....avoid Scotland.....especailly Donald and his 'Big Boy'.....:eek:):rofl:

I think you'll be better off taking the arm off as joints of this design can be bl00dy tight......It is sometimes possible to get the joint out the arm by hitting out,but ideally you need a press to put the new one in.;).Be careful not to damage the arm it's self,too.

Good luck Donald,and hopefully your warranty will pay up.:d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(Note to self.....avoid Scotland.....especailly Donald and his 'Big Boy'.....:eek:):rofl:

I think you'll be better off taking the arm off as joints of this design can be bl00dy tight......It is sometimes possible to get the joint out the arm by hitting out,but ideally you need a press to put the new one in.;).Be careful not to damage the arm it's self,too.

Good luck Donald,and hopefully your warranty will pay up.:d
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thats great Lag i will take it out and do it during the week and hopefully post pics all the best Donald.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts