Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a Renault clio mk2 1999. Let me start from the beginning. About 2 months ago my front fog lights decided not to work, fine fair enough, the light on the dash still worked so I new it couldn't be that bad. I changed both bulbs and looked at the fuse. Nothing was wrong. So I dug a little deeper. I removed the nearside (passengers) fog light to get to the wiring. I found that the plug was actually melted on to one another? Strange right, I looked at the bulbs that a garage fitted during my service and they where near double the watts. So I cut the plug out and wired them together through bullet clips and taped it up to prevent water from getting in. All worked perfectly fine which was great.

Until about a week ago. Now I know I should have put more of a permanent fitting on the wires but I just never found the time too. So my first guess was the wires again. I took it all apart and yeah they were wet and corroded. Naturally I thought that's my problem so I actually brought properly plugs etc. Did all that and nope still nothing. I checked the fuse and it was fine, even used a earth screw driver to see if the connection are live, which they are, also did that to the relay. Then I noticed I had no light on my dash??? Ok now this is the really puzzling bit. I used my screw driver to see if I had connection to the fog lights, on the nearside I had to Earth's and the offside had non. I have absolutely no idea what to do or try. People say it's the stalk but would there be power down to the fog lights if so? All the electric testing with the screw driver was done with the side lights and fog lights turned on.

Any help!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your reply, yes I have checked the fuse and I swopped it with the window wipers just to double check and that was all fine and worked perfectly. And the engine doesn't have to be actually running for them to work, just as long as the ignition is on and the sidelight/headlights are on as well.

Any more suggestions??

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,477 Posts
Not very bright in Stoke, so lets see if we can decipher what you mean..
You have got power at your fuse, are your rear fog light/s working, as the one relay does both....
Now this screwdriver, is it showing power as in lighting up, even if a low light.
Your earth;s at the front, you can just put two new wires to these, and secure them to the body
One power supply from the relay, this then splits to both front fogs,, trace this wire as far back as possible, cut it off, and renew the wires from it, if water has been entering for awhile,, then with it getting hot, your wire will have too much resistance going through it, slowing the current down, and stopping your lights, you can, keep cutting back, until you find wire strands that have not gone black,,,
P.S. though your instrument cluster light is part of the circuit, its in parallel, so even if the bulb failed your fogs will still work,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are you saying the bulb has blown on my dashboard for the front fogs?

So this electric screw driver, it glows on both the wires on the passengers side but not at all on the driver's side. So you want to to trace the wires back into the loom etc and find the nice copper looking wire, and then attach another piece of wire to that which will reach to the passengers front and then another bit of wire to the driver's fog? Does that make sense??

And I have literally been out side to have a look at the rear fog and that still works without the relay in so it must have a separate one.

·
40,477 Posts
How many volts are you getting at the fog lights,,, you need to use a voltmeter.
Have you taken another relay out and tried it in the fog light relay connection
With not having full details of your car, have had to go on a wiring diagram, for that year,,,
You could have six relays inside your car,, Daytime running lights, Daytime running lights monitor, headlight washers, one for each pump, your front fog, and daytime running lights code...

But that is only because you have said rear fogs work with it out. that I could find another diagram...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My cars a Renault clio mk2 ph1 1999 alize. I have unlock and locking central locking and one other relay under my glove box. My Haynes manual doesn't say I have a relay for the rear fog but I do have a separate fuse. The relay is a 12v 25amp brown original Renault made on the 12/06/99.

Brought a brand new from Halfords, the amp was 40amp but I had it in for a second just to see if it was that and nope, still nothing so I remover it straight away. Got 2 exactly the same from the scrapyard and still nothing. I'm thinking the wires could be shortening somewhere due to them getting wet. But wouldn't that of blown my fuse??

Thanks

·
40,477 Posts
You have power, but how much power....
Buy a voltmeter, you dont have a short, otherwise you would have blown your fuse in location 18 of your interior fuse box..

You can put an earth anywhere off the lights, then only have to worry about the power supply..
You have tested the bulbs over a battery, just to be certain they are working

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! Right I have spent all day on my car trying to figure out why they are not working. I did everything possible. Changed relay, changed fuse, and looked at all the wires. And it ended up being a broken wire in the stalk!!

Any one else who have any problems like this where the dash board light didn't work and you couldn't hear the relay engage then check the stalk first. Easy enough to do. Under 3 screws under the steering column and just pull the bottom of first and the the top will lift off. You can see the wire there and then. It's the white wire for the front fogs. To change the stalk, undo those 2 small silver screws and unplug. Simple really and I spent he's on end searching for the problem.

·
40,477 Posts
Buy a voltmeter. will save you a lot of time, ..
Well done for sorting it, and thanks for letting us know

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never put a solved post on this.

The problem was the wires leading into the plugs. For some reason or some how, the plugs where actually burnt. I can only assume that where the plugs where burnt it wasn't allowing the wires to connect through them. So, went to the scrap yard and brought 2 new plugs and as a temp solution I cut the old plugs of and taped the new ones with the corresponding wires and hurry, they worked!! I have rewired them all properly now and no problems since. Hope this helps anyone else too

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts