Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question i hope people can help with

I would like to transfer my home videos onto my PC. Any ideas on how to do this without having to spend hundreds?

I have a lot to transfer!!!

O

·
0 Posts
I spent ages trying to work out the best way of doing this and tried loads of different software and eventually came to the conclusion that you need lots of patience and a powerful PC.

In the end I bought a DVD recorder because I just want to transfer to DVD rather than edit it.

You can pick up recorders fairly cheaply now and it's a lot less hassle.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Lots of options. If you just want to go straight onto DVD, then OG's suggestion is a good one. Just buy a DVD recorder and use that. If you have a DV camcorder (Mini DV or Digital 8, possibly others) then your camera will no doubt have a Firewire link. Make sure your DVD recorder has one too, and you should be able to do a straight digital copy. (Though the recorder will recompress the video - DV is much higher quality than DVD video.)

If you have an older analogue camcorder (Video 8, Hi-8, VHS-C etc.) then you can just plug it into the composite or SVHS inputs that most (all?) DVD recorders have.

For PC editing, I use Ulead VideoStudio 8, though there are plenty of alternatives. VideoStudio 8 does some fun things like picture in picture, loads of interesting fades and plenty of other effects. To be honest, I don't use anywhere near half of its capabilities, which is one of the reasons why I never upgraded. I think newer versions will even do chromakey. You can be Superman! Great fun :d

Capture-wise you'll need a firewire port on your PC to hook up a DV camcorder or a decent video capture card if you want to transfer from analogue. For analogue, check the maximum capture resolution and frame rate of the card are up to the job, as all cards are far from being created equal.

For DV capture via firewire, Google for a program called WinDV. This does a much better job than the internal capture feature in most video editor programs.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Dialogys

Bought 3 CD set about 1 Year ago but my PC seems to now reject attempts to reinstall.
I had problems initially and seller advised me of correct method as there was something on my PC which it did not like.
Got rid of my Lag so removed it from PC. Now got a Scenic hence my reason for reinstall.
Constantly tells me the disc is not in the drive! tried using Cd Drive same- tried DVD drive same.
Needless to say cannot recall who seller was or what I had to do.
Any one can advise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts