Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am wanting to make my car a bit nippier. I have been to a few garages and have spoken to them about fitting an induction kit and a stainless steel exhaust system. Is there anything else that anyone would recommend as one of the guys at the garage said i won't get much of a noticible difference with the exhaust and induction kit apart from a lot of noise which is not what i want. Ideally i would like the car to have a bit better acceleration without it costing the earth and without it make the fuel comsumption absolutly massive and i would also like it not to sound rediculous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated =)
Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The cheapest, and most insurance-friendly way to make your car accelerate faster, turn-in better, and stop sharper is to strip away the weight of the car, and what you carry in it.

Keeping it properly serviced will mean that it is set-up at its optimal level, and whatever mass is lost will just put the icing on the cake.

A good side benefit will be better fuel economy.

You may also be able to sell what you don't need, or just remove/store it carefully for when its time to sell the car on.

Best of luck,

Paul

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Like Vel says, the cheapest way is to strip out the weight! The only other way you could really see some real power gain is to get the ECU remapped but that's gonna cost you a few hundred quid :)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Like Vel says, the cheapest way is to strip out the weight! The only other way you could really see some real power gain is to get the ECU remapped but that's gonna cost you a few hundred quid :)
...And probably won't make a great deal of difference on an N/A engine - still, if you go for it, it's best to get it rolling road-mapped with an induction kit/any exhaust mods you intend to make already installed .

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
...And probably won't make a great deal of difference on an N/A engine - still, if you go for it, it's best to get it rolling road-mapped with an induction kit/any exhaust mods you intend to make already installed .
My bad, your absolutely right Az. It wouldn't be worth the remap unless you had all the other dogs danglies....not least you'd probably run into engine code troubles without uprating other parts anyhow :rolleyes:

Personally, if you want a faster car either buy one already fast as standard or one that has a nice tuneable engine :devil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i'll go with getting SS exhaust and the induction lit then get it tuned onn the rolling road like you said then see how that goes. It will be my little project lol. I was just gonna buy a clio sport but i love my little car and its only a few year old and theres nothing wrong with it. We'll see how it all goes.
Thanks for your help guys =)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
You'll probably find it'll cost in the region of £250 upwards for a remap and it'll only gain you about 10bhp :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much do you have to spend? As has been said, the remap can be costly, and might not gain you all that much depending on what else you've done.
Go for NOS.. hehe

·
Bespoke ECU Remapping
196 Posts
Hello there,

With regards to a software upgrade on your Clio you would be looking at gains of 10-12 BHP and 15 NM of torque. These gains will not completely transform your car but will improve the overal drive and the throttle response will feel more crisp. With those gains, to be honest it would not be worth doing a live remap on the rolling road, the gains would be more or less the same as a normal custom remap.
If you have an exhaust and airfilter then these will simply complement the remap, it wouldn't need to be live mapped for those modifications. Remember when putting exhaust systems on normally aspirated vehicles the right amount of back pressure is needed, time and time again we see cars with completely straight through exhausts and on n/a vehicles this will lose power due to the lack of back pressure.

With regards to prices, with us you would be looking at a base price of £240 all in. This would include 10% forum member discount. The price would get you a fully custom remap, three years warranty and TUV approved sofware.
The price will vary on where you are based and if you would like rolling road runs before and after the remap.

I think you'll find that prices will vary from £220-£320, just make sure you check what you get for the price.

Hope that helps!

Kind Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOS lol i dont want a rocket! haha i dunno how much i hav 2 spend i've just got a SS exhaust (hasn't been fitted yet) not sure what to do next like. The exhaust coz me £200 i dunno whether im gonna blow my student loan doin ma car up lol probs spend a cuple of grand on it.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hello there,

Remember when putting exhaust systems on normally aspirated vehicles the right amount of back pressure is needed, time and time again we see cars with completely straight through exhausts and on n/a vehicles this will lose power due to the lack of back pressure.
A very interesting point regarding back pressure GCL!!

Have you any idea what the power loss is likely to be if a straight-through exhaust system is fitted to a bog standard normally aspirated engine. Would it be significant in terms of power output or fuel economy??
Also will decatting the exhaust system have a detrimental affect??

·
Bespoke ECU Remapping
196 Posts
A very interesting point regarding back pressure GCL!!

Have you any idea what the power loss is likely to be if a straight-through exhaust system is fitted to a bog standard normally aspirated engine. Would it be significant in terms of power output or fuel economy??
Also will decatting the exhaust system have a detrimental affect??
It really depends on what engine it is and what sort of exhaust is fitted but there will be less power with absoultly no back pressure. We have seen a loss of 10% in power on the dyno before now, we often advise to alter the exhaust system to include a sports back box, after this the engine usually tends to run much better.
It is fine to do a de-cat, as long as there is sufficiant back pressure for example a de-cat but still leave the back box or have a free flowing cat-back exhaust system.
The general rule is that with n/a you need back pressure, obviously a standard car has a lot of back pressure and you don't really need this much but you just want a free flowing sports exhaust system with enough back pressure.
With turbo-charged engines it is a different story...you don't need any back pressure!

Hope that is of some use!

Kind Regards,

GCL

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Very interesting information and many thanks indeed GCL. It may help some members who are thinking of doing their own bolt-on mods regarding exhausts, etc

The most common questions asked seem to be:-

Will a K&N type filter give me substantial gains?
Will a sports back box give me more power?
Will de-catting give me more power?
Will a bolt-on chip make any difference?

Personally I am of the opinion considering the costs of these mods the money may be better spent on a remap.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated. I understand every model of engine is different but some general guidelines would a great help.

Excellent stuff by the way:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I suppose an example of an n/a engine needing back pressure would be the drop in power which occurswhen a hole appears in the exhaust system.

Paul

·
Bespoke ECU Remapping
196 Posts
Very interesting information and many thanks indeed GCL. It may help some members who are thinking of doing their own bolt-on mods regarding exhausts, etc

The most common questions asked seem to be:-

Personally I am of the opinion considering the costs of these mods the money may be better spent on a remap.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated. I understand every model of engine is different but some general guidelines would a great help.

Excellent stuff by the way:)

With regards to the common questions...

> They won't provide particulary substantial gains. From experience the gains seem to vary from approx 3 BHP - 10 BHP. (3 BHP for n/a and upto 10 BHP for turbo charged) The gains depend on what sort of air filter you get, for example a pipercross costing £200 will get you more power. Air filters also need to be fitted correctly with a good supply of fresh air etc. We have seen so many customers losing power because the air filter is taking in all of the hot air from the engine.

> This greatly depends on whether its n/a or turbo charged. N/a would see approx 5 BHP increase, but turbo charged could see around 10 BHP. A full exhaust system could see up to 15 BHP dependant on what type of exhaust.

> Yes a de-cat would provide more power as it 'frees' up the exhaust system, again more so with turbo-charged.

> By a bolt on chip, do you mean a tuning box? Or one those chips on ebay? Our advice is....If your car can have a software remap, have a software remap. If you can't then have a tuning box.
Obviously tuning boxes are not as good as a custom software remap, as they simply confuse the ECU. With a remap you are providing the ECU with a new set of rules.
We are not against good quality tuning boxes at all as they are great for cars that can't have remaps and we have had some fantastic results with them. But we only really offer tuning boxes to all our customers that can't have a remap eg if the ECU is locked or if they are only wanting a tuning box.

The tuning boxes we don't like are the ones featured on ebay for £50 that are just a few resistors in a box that come from all sorts of countries. We have had so many customers with serious engine problems after fitting these, even non starters and the problem is they have no-one to contact if it all goes wrong and they end up spending more money by getting people like us to fix it.

Whether its a n/a vehicle or turbo...If you want the most performance out of your car our recommedation is to have a remap, which will provide the best value for money for the gains you get. An air filter and exhaust would assist the remap further, so if you are looking at another 5-15 BHP more we'd also advice to have these aswell (it can be done before or after a remap, it doesn't really matter).
If you really want mad power on a turbo vehicle then an intercooler, remap and exhaust will provide approx 70-90 BHP! But your also looking at a price tag of approx £1000 and more...

Hope that helps!!

Kind Regards,

GCL

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I must admit that I only fitted a k & n air filter to my van because of the economic cost of renewing a standard one each year.

I can't say (nor would I really have expected to) that there has been a performance/economy gain.

The figures you have quoted GCL would make sense, and I also bought one of these resistor-type gadgets a good few years ago (for my Ka Lux), but once I opened the box, and saw the nonsense inside - returned it for a refund - I just felt uncomfortable putting such a device on the car. From what you say, my feelings were somewhat justified.

Paul

·
Bespoke ECU Remapping
196 Posts
I must admit that I only fitted a k & n air filter to my van because of the economic cost of renewing a standard one each year.

I can't say (nor would I really have expected to) that there has been a performance/economy gain.

The figures you have quoted GCL would make sense, and I also bought one of these resistor-type gadgets a good few years ago (for my Ka Lux), but once I opened the box, and saw the nonsense inside - returned it for a refund - I just felt uncomfortable putting such a device on the car. From what you say, my feelings were somewhat justified.

Paul

Yes quite a few people do that with aftermarket filters, good idea if you want to save a few pounds!

Im sure you made the right decision with the tuning box you purchased...don't get me wrong some people have had some ok results but unfortunatly it doesn't weigh out the the amount of problems they can cause.
The reason people get so attracted is because of the cheap price, but there is a reason why they are cheap...I think the advice is for people that are wanting some more performance and/or economy is to save up your money and get a good quality product,

Kind Regards

Gary @ GCL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts