Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Hi, welcome. I make the assumption your 1.4 is the same 1.4 they put in my Megane. Anyhow when you say tries do you mean it turns over but will just keep cranking but not fire? Is it temperature related? Works when cars cold, wont when hot or vice versa?

Had a similar issue with my Megane actually (appears to be quite common) and it was a dirty TDC sensor. On mine its bolted to the top of the gearbox bell housing. Two bolts hold it in place and it stick's through a hole in the gearbox. Its magnetic so gets covered in tiny metal fillings stopping it working. Yours could be a similar issue, for 20min worth of work its worth a try. won't cost anything to give it a clean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, welcome. I make the assumption your 1.4 is the same 1.4 they put in my Megane. Anyhow when you say tries do you mean it turns over but will just keep cranking but not fire? Is it temperature related? Works when cars cold, wont when hot or vice versa?

Had a similar issue with my Megane actually (appears to be quite common) and it was a dirty TDC sensor. On mine its bolted to the top of the gearbox bell housing. Two bolts hold it in place and it stick's through a hole in the gearbox. Its magnetic so gets covered in tiny metal fillings stopping it working. Yours could be a similar issue, for 20min worth of work its worth a try. won't cost anything to give it a clean.
OKay mate I'll give it a try and thanks

I don't think its that as the person who had it before me said he was driving on the a62 and it gust cut out and gust crank over no fire so I don't no but I will try that sensor

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Not too sure about the loss of power, but for the sake of undoing two 10mm bolts its worth a clean. Others will be along soon who can help more.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
You can check to see if the fuel pump is totally dead, by giving the plastic pipes a squeeze and seeing if they're under any pressure. They should be still pressurised after a cranking attempt.

Also could disconnect the fuel connector and put it into a glass jar/fuel can/etc and crank the engine. If fuel comes out, you know that its at least pumping fuel.

If the pump runs, even if really weakly, I'd expect it to at least start. Even so, you can get a good idea by the amount of fuel coming out.

Obviously be very careful with the fuel + spark risks when doing this as you are working with the fuel system.

Si.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can check to see if the fuel pump is totally dead, by giving the plastic pipes a squeeze and seeing if they're under any pressure. They should be still pressurised after a cranking attempt.

Also could disconnect the fuel connector and put it into a glass jar/fuel can/etc and crank the engine. If fuel comes out, you know that its at least pumping fuel.

If the pump runs, even if really weakly, I'd expect it to at least start. Even so, you can get a good idea by the amount of fuel coming out.

Obviously be very careful with the fuel + spark risks when doing this as you are working with the fuel system.

Si.
I have taken the pump out cleand it put in a bucket off water and put a battery on it but it seams like it works so I don't no it confused me

·
Registered
76 Posts
if when you turn on the ignition you should be able to hear the fuel pump operating for a couple of seconds, that confirms the pump is working. However you have no idea if the fuel filter is blocked or the fuel lines are delivering fuel without pulling off the pipe in the engine bay... be careful doing this as you risk a fire!!!
Also check the fuel tank vent hole because if blocked the pump won't be able to suck the fuel from the tank!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Sorry to point out the obvious but as Terry says you should hear the fuel pump "whirring" when you first start the ignition.
If there's no noise, and the wiring to the pump checks out ok, then it seems the fuel pump has died a death :/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts