Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All you boffins .....

Just bought my daughter a second hand toshiba laptop all works well but the registered owners name is still in there ... can someone tell me how i can change it to my daughters name .

Many thanks in advance ..... Chakota :confused: :confused:

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
If you have all the software disks I'd do a re-install that way you can put the correct name in.

I'm pretty sure I did change a user name but its so long back I forget how.

I think OMG! I did this once before. If you go to start then run type in there regedit, do a search in there for the current user name, then edit that out inputting the present users name. But beware, fiddling about in the registry if your not familiar with it is like trying to shake hands with a crocodile. Thinking about it I'd do a format and re-install anyway, to get rid of any of the crap from the prior owner.

Just my 2 pence worth :)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
You could try it, nothing to lose. But I'm pretty sure that the user name gets embedded within the registry.

The easier way is a complete format and re-install, but make sure you have the CD disks currently installed especially I assume Window's, otherwise the PC will not work.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
If you go down the format road, make sure that you have all of the driver disks .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just for you own peace of mind, do a complete install from the XP disk - you never know what's on the harddisk and you'll usually get better performance.:)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,

Many thanks to you all for relevant info ....

Great forum and a great bunch of lads , well worth the registration fee :p :p

Chakota ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All done followed the instructions given by you all ....

Well worth the £12.00 subs :d :d :d

chakota ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts