Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, this is how it is....

I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to take out my passenger airbag to do some further investigation re my heater blower motor.

When I reconnected I noticed that the hazard lights did not flash when I plipped the key, therefore, the alarm would not be activated!

How do I reset the alarm?

EDIT: When I turn the ignition key or indeed unlock the doors using the key fob the hazards flash continously. They do eventually go off but this makes me think that the alarm is activating when the car is either opened by the key or started by the key.

Obviously I cannot drive with my hazards going?

This has obviously happened because I disconnected the battery and surely should be any easy fix.

Someone please help!

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I rang Renault who advised me if I didn't have the type of alarm that is reset with a key (which I don't) then I should disconnect and reconnect the battery again and then lock and unlock the car six/seven times finishing on an unlock.

Well, I did that and guess what.....it didn't work:steam: .

So I still need to know if anyone knows how to reset the damn thing:(

Why this isn't covered in the owners manual I will never know:( . It seems apparent that they only do an owners manual for the MKI PHI which covers tid-bits for higher spec models, however, there is no mention of any other alarm type other the the key reset one:steam: . I mean, for crying out loud, shouldn't they let people know how to reset the alarm after a battery change etc.

From me........very wound up!

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone?

Don't particularly want to leave the car with an inactive alarm overnight. Insurance would be invalid then, wouldn't it? The way my luck is going at the moment the car'll end up getting pinched:crazy:

I am currently leaving the battery disconnected for about two hours, as I seem to recall someone mentioning this before, in the hope all will be alright once reconnected! Am I right in thinking that could work?

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S'kcollob

F' it. I give up! Leaving the battery disconnected for two hours didn't work either. The only thing I can do is to disable the alarm so it doesn't go off.

F'ing electrics. Like I'm not gonna have to fork out enough money (which I don't have) to fix my heater blower problem, now I've gotta fork out s**t loads more to fix an alarm just because I disconnected the F'ing battery.

As you can tell, I'm in a rather foul mood now. Honeymoon with new car is now most definately over, piece of s**t!

:steam: :steam: :steam: :steam: :steam: :steam: :steam: :steam: :steam:

I need a very large drink

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Scatz, I had this issue on a previous Espace we had ... after changing the battery .... eventually I drove to the dealers with the hazards flashing and the siren sounding .. although the car started :confused: ... they came out with a laptop and "did" something which reset it .... the guy explained, sometimes they do it and sometimes they dont when changing the battery .... oh, they didnt charge for resetting.

Hope it helps:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TBUK:)

I don't suppose you remember what type of alarm it had do you?

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Not the exact model, but is was a Renault/Cobra unit (I believe the Renault/Philips controllers have a key bypass) ...

They plugged the laptop in under the bonnet somewhere and "did" something (what a technical explanation that was .. sorry) ... not sure what but the car flashed it indicators several times and made chirping noises along with locking and unlocking the central locking ... took them about 5 mins max, and then it was OK ... sorry I cant be more specific.

:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pukka mate. I have the cobra unit also, so at least I can see that something may be able to be done about it.....don't know whether I'll get it for free though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts