Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reanult espace V6 3.0l is currently in for a new timing belt, full service, water pump etc. The indy has quoted for a new timing belt pack. One concern is he says he doesnt take engine out. He says its a proper pain and there's not too many people that can do it but through touch he can change the timing belt without the engine being removed.

The timing belt pack costs over 300.00 and comes with new tensioners and idlers. I assume these will be changed as well. Is it possible this can be done without removing engine. Same as spark plugs and water pump and full service. I am paying 1340 for it all and his garage looks well equipped for this sort of thing and I am probably being a swine for thinking bad thoughts but how the hell would I know. The car performed perfect before going in?

The parts and labour are warrantied for twelve months but I cant afford this kinda expense for a good another five years.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi if he says he can do it i would say that he's done one before and knows what he's talking about there is one way that you can check for sure if you do not trust him is ask him to bag all the old parts that are removed, Ford in N-Ireland used to do this as matter of there job so when you came back to pick the car up you had a bag of old parts sitting in the passenger seat.I would also get him to stamp up the service book and get a receipt to prove all work was done so you will have a come back if needed i hope this help all the best Donald

You are the customer and the customer is always right

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hondo you would be there a long time as book time is 10 hours but it can take up to 16. And yes it can be done without taking the engine out.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
:crazy: The 3.0 V6 truly scares me i would be bald in no time at all i will stick with my 2.0 16v Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies.

I feel a bit sh*t to be honest cause the guy has give me no reason not to trust him and as you say with receipts and logbook stamped I have little to worry about.

Just been burn t for over three grand before by a mechanic and makes you weary.

Main problem I guess I have with this is car was running perfect before it went in so I am paying 1340 and apart from a bit of piece of mind I cant see me noticing any great improvement.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
you could take the attitude 'dont fix it til its broke';)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would love to take that attitude and probably would if anything but the timing belt. That being fixed when broke is another three grand on top.

I am just happy the job can be done without taking engine out as I was getting a bit concerned.

O

·
0 Posts
I think you are right to want to be sure it's done, afterall, if they say they have changed the belt and they haven't it could be 2, 3, 4 who knows haow long until it actually goes.

Can you get at the existing belt or parts enough to mark them in some way, perhaps with a permanant marker, paint or some scratches?

I think it would be worth the effort for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I think you are right to want to be sure it's done, afterall, if they say they have changed the belt and they haven't it could be 2, 3, 4 who knows haow long until it actually goes.

Can you get at the existing belt or parts enough to mark them in some way, perhaps with a permanant marker, paint or some scratches?

I think it would be worth the effort for peace of mind.
My dad practices this regularly on all our cars. That way the garage will either a) not notice but change the part anyway or b) notice and think you're trading standards :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
timing belt

hello there

he only has to remove and drain your radiator to access the cambelt cover. however for that price make sure he replaces your antifreeze when he flushes the cooling system. Not sure if there are two timing belts on a v6
though one for each side
cheers
zarkos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts