Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is Photoshop a extra or is this something that all PS's can do your help would be great thanks Donald.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Hi is Photoshop a extra or is this something that all PS's can do your help would be great thanks Donald.
Some PC's come packaged with a copy of Photoshop Elements, which does more or less everything you need. Or you can buy it - it's not horrendously expensive. The full copy of Photoshop costs an arm and a leg (probably as much as your PC) and is probably overkill for most users.

I use Serif Photoshop 8. Bought it ages ago (it's a works PC, so I try to keep all my software legal) but it still does more or less what I want it to. They're up to at least version 10 now and often knock the older versions out for buttons, so you might just pick up version 8 or 9 for a tenner or so if you visit Serif's website.

The actual image manipulation is a bit of an art, but not too tricky once you get your head around 'layers.' Tattyshopping stuff with a program that doesn't support layers is a nightmare. Some of my early b3ta stuff was done on an app that didn't support layering, but it was hard work. Getting skin tones to match when merging people is particularly tricky. Your photo proved particularly problematic in this regard as it was quite dark.

I await your efforts. In the meantime, feel free to refer to me as sensei :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some PC's come packaged with a copy of Photoshop Elements, which does more or less everything you need. Or you can buy it - it's not horrendously expensive. The full copy of Photoshop costs an arm and a leg (probably as much as your PC) and is probably overkill for most users.

I use Serif Photoshop 8. Bought it ages ago (it's a works PC, so I try to keep all my software legal) but it still does more or less what I want it to. They're up to at least version 10 now and often knock the older versions out for buttons, so you might just pick up version 8 or 9 for a tenner or so if you visit Serif's website.

The image manipulation site is a bit of an art, but not too tricky once you get your head around 'layers.' Tattyshopping stuff with a program that doesn't support layers is a nightmare. Some of my early b3ta stuff was done on an app that didn't support layering, but it was hard work.

I await your efforts :)
Ok thats great mate:) ,iam not sure your worth a tenner but if its just to wipe that smiley smirk off you face it will be worth every penny:d :d :d

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Ok thats great mate:) ,iam not sure your worth a tenner but if its just to wipe that smiley smirk off you face it will be worth every penny:d :d :d
Can't see you wiping off the smile. I love RF, but can't honestly say I've ever had as much of a laugh on here as I have today. Bring 'em on and I'll be happy to give at least as good as I get :p

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't see you wiping off the smile. I love RF, but can't honestly say I've ever had as much of a laugh on here as I have today. Bring 'em on and I'll be happy to give at least as good as I get :p
Great Horatio as long as you have had fun, i have all the best till the next time cheers Donald.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Great Horatio as long as you have had fun, i have all the best till the next time cheers Donald.
Glad to hear it. As and when you get up to speed on Photoshop (or whatever you decide to use) I'm more than ready for round 2 :p

I forgot to mention last night - there's a program called GIMP which seems to be a popular free alternative to Photoshop and other image manipulation programs. As with a lot of open source stuff, they tend to concentrate on distributing the source code, but you can download a Windows installable here.

Dunno if it works on Vista though.

GIMP - Windows installers

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:d :d :d you will regret this:d if i could bloody work it,its going to take time to get my head round this but i will so watch this space all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
:d :d :d you will regret this:d if i could bloody work it,its going to take time to get my head round this but i will so watch this space all the best Donald.
I'm not a 'Techie' by any standards, But I have found Google's Picasa so simple to use...and it's free!!
Picasa ;)

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Good luck with it, Donald.............:)

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts