Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Our 2003 scenic II had new front tyres at 17K miles and new rears at 18K miles, the rear seems excessive to me.

That was on the original from new set and have been replaced with the same brand, michelin energys.

How long do yours last?

S

·
0 Posts
The Megane is notorious for tyre wear. Do a search and you might find some further info. IIRC it's "toe in" for stability and goes through tyres like nobody's business...

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
My 05 Scenic II on disposal of the car at over 36k had loads of tread left more so on the rear Michelin's ? some Scenic IIs & Megane IIs on 17" had horrific tyre wear on the rear some I believe got less than 9K from a set ? Crazy.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Megane is notorious for tyre wear. Do a search and you might find some further info. IIRC it's "toe in" for stability and goes through tyres like nobody's business...
Yeah, well when i drive forward the tyre tuck under and when i reverse the tyres spread out.

We took it to our local dealer and told them the problem and they said it was a design thing, and there is huge tollerances on the toe in.

So ours was checked and it was within the tollerance. They said if we replace the tyre with cheap brands the tyre could last as little as 7,000 miles!

However i dont believe it is a design feature for stability, when i go over large potholes the car side steps, thats not stable.

Seems slightly odd, ive never had a car that went though tyres so quickly.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Mine sits on the road Ok, Have a search in the Forums as a number of Members have fitted alternative makes with no loss of mileage or roadholding and at a considerable saving over Michelin's

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Yeah, well when i drive forward the tyre tuck under and when i reverse the tyres spread out.

I'd get a second opinion if I were you! Sounds like somethings loose at the front if thats happening. :crazy:

Got 20 odd thousand from my front tyres on the Lag. I stick with Continental Sport Contact 2's as these give superb all weather performance :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drive a 2005 megane dci1.9 130 and am about to replace front's they have done 21k and i am quite a hard driver loads left onthe rear's but will proably change all 4 as i want something a bit more sporty (softer) than the michelins
205/55/16

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
12,000 miles from the front pair on my Vel Satis - 245/45 x 18 (ouch).

Can't rotate them front to back either, because of the pressure sensors....:steam:

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I managed almost 24,500mls on the Michelins fitted from new - the fronts were shot but the rears could've lasted another 6000 or so - I replaced all 4 anyway as I don't like odd tyres on the car.
I'm now running a set of Kumho Solus tyres and to be honest there's no noticable difference in wear rate or grip - and they were half the price of the Michelins :d

·
Registered
42 Posts
I get 18k from the fronts 36k from the rears.
205/60 R14
But car tyres is cheap, £40 each fitted.

Compare that to the £104 for a rear 180/55 R17 tyre for my motorcyle, they last 5k miles. :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
have now changed tyres 22k
went for a set of 4 avon ZV3's £280 the lot

what a difference point car at corner and it goes round it no protesting or getting out of shape just glides round ,much faster to

Avon state in their blurb that it is designed as a quiet runing tyre and they are not wrong car is notisabley much quieter on the road

dealer said can expect around 20k from them
will keep you
posted as to wear rate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts