Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My Laguna Sports Tourer - Privalige 51 plate 130k miles has blown its turbo, this is being repaired by a back street dealer, I've had enough of Renault UK !

My question is : how many miles should this be good for now ?

Should I part ex it asap or will i have a nice motor for another 50k miles - i only do about 6000 miles per year in the Laguna (commute by motorbike)

Many Thanks

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
As long as the rest of the car is in good nick mechanically and the bodywork is ok there is no reason why it shouldn't go on for another 50k miles at least.

If the turbo has only just blown at 130k it has done well.
Just make sure the garage doing the work replace the egr valve,intercooler and associated pipes as well, then fill it with fully synthetic 5w/40 oil. Change the oil every 9k miles insted of the recommended 18k and you should be fine.
If you p/ex it you may only be buying more trouble, sometimes it is better to stick with the car you know, even if it has cost a few quid to keep going - at least you'll know its history, although there comes a time when you need to weigh up the cost of keeping it going over trasding it in.
To trade it in know it won't be worth anymore just because its had a new turbo, so keep it for a while to get your moneys worth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - i have only just had a new intercooler fitted (200miles) will this still require replacment ?

The garage are looking into the EGR valve, as i had mentioned the comments here, but their view was that this is ok and only the inner seal on the turbo had blown.....they were cleaning all pipes etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well bad news from the garage engine won't run with new turbo fitted, this could be hydraulic damage !!!!

Now i've got a thousand pound bill and an engine which might be :censored:

What to do
1. scrap it
2. ebay it
3. burn it
4. throw more money at it

:crazy:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm.....the almost unanswerable question!.I get asked this by customers quite regularly.:)

When to say enough is enough is down to your personal circumstances.If you could afford to take a financial hit,then I'd stick it on ebay for spares or repairs.You would probably get enough back to pay your garage bill,but the money you parted with for the car would be gone.:(.

It is a difficult decision to make,but if the garage thinks that the engine is fubar'd,even a secondhand unit is going to be in the area of £600+,then you've got the labour for carrying out the job.......I don't think the cars worth the money or the hassle to be honest.:(.With a £1000 bill already on the table,your going to be looking at £2500+ I'm afraid.

Others may disagree....:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No - having had the turbo go whilst on the motorway i didn't dare start the thing - i had to stall it to stop the engine at the time. All this was done in seconds so i assumed :steam: that only the turbo had gone (since the inter cooler had just been replaced !)

Thanks Lagdti

will post follow up with ebay link on monday :d

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I know Renault insist on replacing the entire turbo system in the event of (even the itsy bitsiest smidget of) an oil seal leak, but why would an independant mech? If the intercooler and pipework is sound then why would it need more than just a clean? A knackered EGR is easily spotted, as is a leaky intercooler. Can't we block these pesky useless EGR valves anymore? That's what we old timers did when they first started causing trouble - gimme back my Morris Minor - actually, I never did try to fit a turbo to that thing......I tried NOS though. :) and I won't ever be so stupid again Dad, honest. RIP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update :

Completely and utterly ¤¤¤¤ged – garage got the head of today – one of my pistons is missing going to look at it on Saturday.

Cannot understand how this wasn’t spotted before they fitted a new turbo !!

Discussions to take place then :crazy:

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Not sure what the standard procedure is in situations like this, but usually its crank and not piston damage that happens i think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have paid garage for parts bought (turbo) and car is being picked up next week for transfer to another garage.

Replacement engine is being fitted there, should have done this in the first place, approx cost £1500 for a full lump with 30k max mileage.

Will update when the next disaster occurs :d

Oh the plan then is to sell this and I'm looking at a Defender 90 - easy to diy maintain :p

:crazy: Rich :crazy:

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I have paid garage for parts bought (turbo) and car is being picked up next week for transfer to another garage.

Replacement engine is being fitted there, should have done this in the first place, approx cost £1500 for a full lump with 30k max mileage.

Will update when the next disaster occurs :d

Oh the plan then is to sell this and I'm looking at a Defender 90 - easy to diy maintain :p

:crazy: Rich :crazy:
I'm on the look out for a lag with a dead engine if for some reason you don't go ahead with your repairs ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts