Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Renault Scenic RX4 2002 model, bought 2nd hand and owner no 4. At what kilometers should I start looking at trade in....

I have done the clutch, just recently replaced the cambelt and idlers, done a full service - plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, thermostat, radiator flush and anti freeze, oil and fan belt

Plastic lever on throttle body broke so I replaced the throttle body and sensor.

Fitted ne tie rod ends and stabilizer bars.

Now I should look at new tires...

There is a few more things that need to be looked at like Engine and gearbox mountings and shock absorbers.

Just scared that I spend all that money and then it's time for trade in

Please advise,

Regards,

Annie

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,465 Posts
This is really a personal decision
Do you like the car still
Its going to cost best part of £500 a year to keep the car roadworthy ( Tenner a week )

Any less is a bonus on virtually any car thats on the road now

Dont matter how many miles a car has done

its how much you want it
All parts you have mentioned are wear and tear parts, All cars have these replaced

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,411 Posts
You have already spent a lot doing things like clutch and timing belt so get the benefit from that spend by keeping it until the next belt renewal. Try not getting sucked into replacing things that don't really need it.
Have you a reason for wanting or needing a different type of car?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,246 Posts
I have a Renault Scenic RX4 2002 model, bought 2nd hand and owner no 4. At what kilometers should I start looking at trade in....
From another angle .... consider the age of the vehicle. It is 20 years old. The trade in value to the motor trade is probably quite low. At the end of the day it really depends on what the car is worth to you .... it might be old but really suits your purpose all the time it remains reliable ... but when you regularly start to shell out on replacement parts that is usually when the sell/scrap/keep questions arise.
Maybe you'd like a change of make/model/style in which case just go for it anytime you have the finance ready.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for all the welcome advise...it is not that I want to replace the car...I love my FUGLY..(her name...sure you all can figure out why) My late husband (7 years now) use to attend to all our vehicles. He bought this car for me in November 2013 (2nd hand - as I've mentioned before) she then had 220 000km on the clock. Now she is on 246 000km - So we look at 26 000km over 9 years... I don't travel that much but as always....I get told that....petrol prices are so high - you should get a car lighter on fuel.. the kilometers are quite high - maybe you should get a newer model with lower mileage....and, and, and...
Not knowing so much on the technical side, I start worrying and wondering...is it time or is it not! My late husband would have known exactly the outcome on all the doubts.
BUT!!! YOU ALL HELPED ME TO BE RELAXED AND MAKE THE DESISION ...... FUGLY STAYS!!
Thank you all once again for the advice
Regards,
Annie

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,411 Posts
With such low mileage any talk of getting a more economical car is moot. You would probably spend multiples of any saving getting a different car. At that annual mileage it almost doesn't matter what it runs on.
Our Grand Scenic petrol is doing only 12 000 km/year. We like it and will keep it until it stops, which shows no sign of happening any time soon and it has 292 000 km on the clock.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,912 Posts
I will enjoy my car further on and drive her till SHE says it is pension time....
That'll do nicely.
As another with a 20 year old car that I am reluctant to replace, often it is better the devil you know.
Especially as my devil owes me nothing and to replace with anything of similar comfort and size will set me back a goodly amount.

If you were to change to something more economical, you may save 10 pound (or Rand) a week.
But would need to spend far more to achieve that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts