Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i drive a 02reg clio for my drving lessons and i do actully do like it but i dunna know weather to have one as my car when i pass my test........

.... please can u give many any pros and cons about having a clio please

my short list is
1) clio
2) corsa

thanks

rich

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi rich .... downside/upside (depending on your POV) with the Clio is that .... you wont be able to wear a skip hat backward when driving one ...... I understand that its a prerequisite when driving a Corsa badly at excessive speed and with the stereo too loud .... something about a security feature .... maybe they dont start or something without wearing one ... :p

sorry I couldnt resist it. :)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I am a Manly man, who drives a Clio.

Here's a good enough reason to get a Clio: You'll have 4 cylinders rather than the, lawnmower sounding 3, of the (small) corsa.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Yep, that 3 pot 12v 1 litre Corsa is a horrible engine. The rev counter is the only thing that gives away the fact that you're not driving a rattly old diesel.

And the car's not much better than the engine - the Clio is an order of magnitude nicer to drive. The down-side of the Clio is the 'girly' image of the non-sports models.

Performance-wise, when thrashed through the gears, the Clio 1.2 8v's probably about on par with the Corsa 1.0 12v. The Clio engine should be torquier though, giving better acceleration at lower engine speeds. The Clio 1.2 16v is the engine to go for if the insurance isn't prohibitively expensive. It's not rocket powered, but it'll beat a lot of other superminis off the line, and it feels pretty lively if you're prepared to thrash it.

The Punto is also worth considering. I've had a few of them as hire cars, and they're good fun to drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont want to be too negativebut I have had 2 clios but wont ever have another.

Too many immobiliser and wiring and general reliability problems for me.

No disrespect to this site but nobody seems to be able to cure the problems either.

The corsa engine is not a good engine but its problems seem to be confined to cam and crank sensors.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
To Clio or not to Clio - that is the question

It depends very much on whether you are buying new or second hand. Corsa's are favoured by the boy-racer brigade who tend to thrash their engines a lot - and stick on daft extras. Whilst the Renault engine isn't the best in the world it will take more abuse than the 3-cylinder, humpy lumpy vauxhall - although the Vauxhall 1.2 Litre 4-cylinder engine is fairly good in comparison. If I was driving a 3 cylider Corsa I would'nt wear a back-to-front skip hat - I would be wearing a hood - mask and all - would'nt like to be seen dead in one. Ask any body shop - what type of small car is broken into most and they'll probably answer in a chorus of "It's the Corsa"

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
The SEAT Ibiza isn't a bad alternative.
Looks a bit different and you can get it in a 1.2 petrol version.

I agree with all the above comments re the Clio/Corsa - Clio is a bit girly, Corsa is chav!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
If you go for a Corsa dont forget to replace the

bee sting ariel with a Sparkler

Make it look even more like a dodge-em car that it is

:d :rofl: :d :rofl:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well i got to say that i wasnt a fan on Clio's, as i was learning in a Ford Fiesta, but when i passes i used my sisters car as we had to share, but then after driving the clio i fancyed the new one. Then we ot the new one and i tell you what i goes like a rocket. I say Clio all the way!!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Corsa Nova:rofl: :steam: Iam sure you dont want to be put in the knob head category.I would go for the the Clio but the 16v only not much in the way of guts in the 8v if you know what i mean

·
Registered
26 Posts
Before I bought my Clio, I was looking at a few other size cars - I test drove a Corsa, and Clio on the same day, and also looked at a Punto.

The punto interior looked very cheap and boxy, not very refined at all!

The Corsa was 'alright' but the Clio has the much better interior design (in my opinion anyways) I've got the 1.2 16v model, and it's not the fastest thing on the road, but it's very nippy when accelerating, and very comfy inside, much better layout than the Corsa!

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Clio versus Clio

Hi davegranger - congratulations on getting your new car. Let us know what you think after a month or so - feedback is always welcome. It appears you made your decision after looking at number of models and manufacturers (namely, german, french and italian) across the range of small cars. In my opinion a wise move as most people just decide on a particular model and the head out and look for the cheapest deal. Well done and many happy miles of motoring.

J

·
0 Posts
My wife had a 2000 W Clio smashing little car!!

The only reasons we sold it was its age & a new arrival to the family....

Perfect little car for learning to drive in...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi davegranger - congratulations on getting your new car. Let us know what you think after a month or so - feedback is always welcome. It appears you made your decision after looking at number of models and manufacturers (namely, german, french and italian) across the range of small cars. In my opinion a wise move as most people just decide on a particular model and the head out and look for the cheapest deal. Well done and many happy miles of motoring.
I can't wait a month - I can give you my appraisal now! I'm LOVING it, it's such a fantasic motor, and gives a great ride, great handling, and you can really chuck it around if you want!

It looks like a smart little car as well, and I'm saving a fair whack on both fuel, and tax. Previously I had the loan of a Nissan 2.0 Primera, which was setting me back about £25/£30 week on fuel, but with the Clio, £20 will do me quite nicely, and for the cost of taxing the Nissan for 6 months I can tax the clio for a year.

I love sad little things too, like the orange instrument panel/stereo when the lights are on, ultra-geeky I know, but there you have it. My neighbour has a Corsa, and whenever I see it I can't help but think I've definetely bought the right car!

I've got my Ipod all hooked up via a kit from Connects2 which is fantastic too, I'd have liked to have had some rear speakers in the parcel shelf, but after an initial inspection I don't think the wiring extends to their - never mind though!

I've only had my son in the car a few times, he's 6 months old (we have a scenic as the family car) and it's a bit awkward getting him in and out with it just being a three door car, but that's the only downside, and that'll only last for as long as he's in his car seat!

Great car, and a great choice - my friend tried to take the rise with 'Dave, it's a hairdressers car mate' had to be put down with 'I think you'll find it's a gentleman barbers car ;) '

·
Registered
22 Posts
iv just purchased a clio, and ppl tell me u know its a girls car im like :crazy: Wtf.. but iv seen ¤¤¤¤ loads ov boys/men with them..

·
Registered
8 Posts
a nice little rover thats what you want, as long as you dont find the oap image annoying. but the one ive got is genius to wipe the smiles form the chav crews faces.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts