Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My up-arrow died on my Sony notebook's keyboard yesterday. I'm still using the PC, but I can't scroll upwards without using the mouse. It's particularly annoying when editing text, and obviously it has to be sorted.

I've taken the keyboard out in the hope that I could have a look at the membrane, but it doesn't look like it's possible to get inside the keyboard itself without destroying the thing. So I had to bite the bullet and order a new one. Not to worry, though I. We bought one for a Tosh recently and it was only about 40 quid.

95 quid + VAT + P&P! :steam:Comes out at pretty much bang on 110 in all. I could only find two suppliers, and one of them was in Texas and (not surprisingly) didn't have any UK spec keyboards in stock. The UK one wanted the 110 quid, so that's what I've had to pay.

I checked out eBay, but people are asking 95 quid (albeit including VAT and postage) for second-hand ones that they've stripped out of knackered computers. Bearing in mind that this one's not lasted much longer than 12 months, I can't help but wonder how much life would be left in a second-hand one.

So there's 110 quid down the swanny for the sake of a single faulty button. When the rest of it finally kicks the bucket, I'd be surprised if I bought another Sony.

Note to Wonky: I think we really need that rant forum :p

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It gets better :crazy:

Not only does the thing cost 110 quid, but it's presently out of stock with an expected delivery of 7-10 days. Nice of them to let me know that when I was ordering, eh? :steam:

I've found a little registry hack that's let me re-map the right-hand control key as the up-arrow, and that seems to be working fine. It's taking some getting used to though, and you can bet that as soon as I've got the hang of it, the new keyboard will turn up and I'll have to start re-learning how to use it properly.

I'd be tempted to go for an eBay one if they were asking around 40 quid, but who in their right mind buys second-hand goods at 90% of the brand new price? I suppose the answer to that question is "someone who doesn't want to wait 7 to 10 days for a new keyboard."

Ho-hum :(

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how long ago was all of this? The keyboard finally turned up yesterday, and I fitted it today.

As predicted, having unmapped the right CTRL key, I keep pressing it instead of the up arrow when I try to scroll upwards.

G

·
0 Posts
I keep pressing it instead of the up arrow when I try to scroll upwards.
A bit like driving a manual after the Quickshift - the hire car wouldn't go into gear until I remembered about the cluch pedal:driving:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Unfortunately I can remember when PC's where first introduced into the workplace. It was the Chief Executives personal assistant who was first to have one. One Friday (POETS day) afternoon she spilled her coffee all over the keyboard and if course it went crazy. I found her sitting in her car in the car park weeping as her boss was a complete tyrant and she was dreading having to tell him on Monday morning. Luckily my brother worked in the world of IT and I phoned him for help - he basically said its furbarred and would need replaced but went on to say most keyboards usally fail due to the ingress of dirt and dust. Jokingly he said what not take it home and give it shower in the bath and hang it out to dry on the line and then a gentle warm up on the radiator. I relayed this message to the poor girl who gave me a look that would cut corn - jokingly I relied why not - it couldn't make any worse. On Monday morning I spotted her typing away and guess what she done exactly what had jokingly been suggested - Yeh it worked - I just couldn't believe it. Since then I have came across two keyboards which have failed and on one occasion the old shower and dry trick worked. My view is if you have nothing to loose why not give it a go.:d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts