Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My sons dci 1.5 has suffered a breakdown , the battery light has been flickering for a while which would indicate a charging issue ? Had to jump start it today but it only got a couple of miles with lights wipers radio all going before all the lights on the dash started flashing and car "was making a racket" . towed car home and charged up the battery . Then tested the battery with a load gauge thingy and it indicated the battery may be a little run down but not faulty. Set about ripping the alternator off ...........strewth it's damned near an engine out job . Haynes says it is difficult but when following their instructions it's impossible so far . The top mounting bolt wont come out because it hits against a mystery lump of cast iron under the engine mount (?????) any pointers would be gratefully received . I've got the wheel off now and ripped out the inner arch (found an even bigger lump of cast iron ...wtf...) but still no closer to getting the thing off :confused:

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

Have you checked the alternator output with a multimeter? You should be getting around 14v across the battery terminals with the engine running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats another problem car now spins over (with battery charged up) but starter cuts out when the glow plug light goes out and so far won't start either ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see where you are going with that re the starting problem now but I can't see that as a reason for the battery running out of juice in the first place . but I'm open to any ideas so thanks :cool:

R

·
0 Posts
Well I imagine the non starting problem is probably down to something you have inadvertently disturbed? Seeing as it was okay before?

As regards the flat battery problem it could well be a faulty alternator? Or maybe something else is causing the battery to loose charge? I have read other posts recently with 1.5 diesel engines having flat battery problems? I can’t remember having read what the solution was?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks , could be right just hoping the ecu isn't fried by running the car out of battery power, as I'm guessing the death rattle was probably relays chatering in the dash rather than the engine failing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
new alternator solved problem ...had to remove part of the bumper and the headlight to gain access then loosen top engine mount and lever up engine with a "Four-by-two" to remove alternator . much swearing but got there in the end ..random lumps of cast iron in the way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts