Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently discovered that I maywell have an oil leak :( and am hoping that it is just leaking from the sump plug. I borrowed a set of ramps from OH cousin and then noticed that they were no good 'coz the bumper/sill is too low :eek: so I bought myself a trolley jack and axle stands.

Question is;

How the hell do I get the axle stands under the cars strong points when the ruddy jack is there:confused:

The jacking points are only about 4-5" long and whilst the jack is in place I have found it impossible to place the axle stands because the feet of the stands need to go where the base of the jack is.

Am I making sense?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Put the jack under the sill jacking points,then put the axle stands under the front subframe.It's plenty strong enough to hold the weight of the car,probably more so than the sills!:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lag...I'll give that a go although I'm really not to keen on getting under the car anyway, I'd rather have my head the way it is rather than a messy puddle of red on the road:crazy:

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
When the axle stands are in place jack the wheels up and slide the ramps under (put a polythene bag over your head, easier to clean the mess up).

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Easiest solution is to do as I do, put a plank of wood across your car just in front of the ramps and slowly drive your car on to the ramps, the plank will lift the front of the car enough to not catch on the ramps.

Drive off the ramps slowly.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Easiest solution is to do as I do, put a plank of wood across your car just in front of the ramps and slowly drive your car on to the ramps, the plank will lift the front of the car enough to not catch on the ramps.

Drive off the ramps slowly.
How thick does that plank need to be davesss, 'coz if I'm reading you right you mean; to lay a plank of wood lengthwise across the front of the car (wheels)? I still dont think this would be enough because of the splitter I have attached!

Have just been out and caught the protection pan on a curb in Tesco (not buying fuel by the way;) ) so that will need fixing back on somehow:confused:

Anyway, have decided to buggery with it:yawn: , I'll take it round the garage tomorrow for the bloke to lift it up on his hydraulics as he said he'd have a look for nowt to see what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Jacking and packing

Jacking and packing - this is an old term used by the fire service who at times have the job of extracting some poor mechanics who don't do it right. One idea would be to jack the car up and then let it down onto the ramps you borrowed. The other is this - only jack one side using the jacking point and place 2 props under the chassis leg close to the front suspension arm - leave the jack in place that way you have 3 points of support. If you suspect the sump plug is leaking get a new washer sump plug washer before you start. Renaults are notorious for leaking at that point and its usually down to not replacing the copper washer each time the plug is removed. Some manufacturers actually recommend replacing the plug at the same time. Years ago when I drove Vauxhalls is was mandatory otherwise it leaked al the time. Considering the price of engine oil these days a few quid spent on a new plug and washer is cost effective.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Way ahead of ya, have already purchased compression rings for the job along with new filter and oil. I am now just hoping that the bloke at the garage will say it is just that, and I aint gonna let him fob me off either 'coz I shall be having a look myself.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
scatz I dunno what it's called but use the sump plug that's come's fitted with the rubber seal, on my prior Lag1 on two occasions my local Halfrauds used the plain copper washer and on each occasion it leaked.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone any rough idea for costs if a garage were to do this job? All it is is the washer and plug need replacing, obviously along with oil change and filter!

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Anyone any rough idea for costs if a garage were to do this job? All it is is the washer and plug need replacing, obviously along with oil change and filter!
Halfords charged me £35:00 for an oil and filter change but because I'm a member of the A.A. I got a 10% reduction so you're prolly looking at about £38:50 ish from them, make sure whoever does it they fit the sump plug washer that's got the rubber insert.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Sump plug

Apparently some of these vehicles their are different types of sump (some metal and some alloy) and the sump plug is different on each type. Have a look at it before you go change the oil.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Halfords charged me £35:00 for an oil and filter change but because I'm a member of the A.A. I got a 10% reduction so you're prolly looking at about £38:50 ish from them, make sure whoever does it they fit the sump plug washer that's got the rubber insert.
That's alright then as the garage quoted me £25-30 for new plug, washer, filter and change:) . He took Make, Model, Reg and a number from the windshield so I assume he will be getting the correct plug and washer. Have used the guy before on my old Rover :yawn: and he's been very clued up;) .

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, don't you worry about that mad. I never let anything get past me....unless it's a charging bull or worse, a charging wife:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts