Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to Adapt a ½-Inch Male Torque Wrench to 17mm Renault Wheel Nuts?

I have a ½-Inch (male) Torque Wrench with which I want to tighten Modus wheel nuts to 77 lb/ft. Is any sort of adapter available?

Failing that, is there a way of getting more purchase than a standard Renault wheel-nut spanner, other than a piece of pipe? Think air-ratchet, over-tightened nuts! Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: How to Adapt a ½-Inch Male Torque Wrench to 17mm Renault Wheel Nuts?

place wrench on wheel nut and put force on wrench as if trying to undo. Then with a large hammer strike the wrench inline with where the nut is.

It may take a few attempts but the shock and pressure applied to the wrench should loosen the nut.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,062 Posts

You don't need any adaptor.....just get a 17mm deep socket and use it with your Torque wrench (or am I missing something)

Or get and use one on the extending type wheel wrenches which makes sure you will always be able to get the nuts off ....as long as you follow the simple rule of tightening the nuts with the with the brace NOT extended and extending the wrench to loosen them.

Find one >>>HERE<<<

Cheers.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,057 Posts

I have a ½-Inch (male) Torque Wrench with which I want to tighten Modus wheel nuts to 77 lb/ft. Is any sort of adapter available?
Can't see what the problem is I have 2 wrenches one goes to 210 Nm and the other 330Nm and both are 1/2" all I do is find the right size socket to fit the wheel nuts use a short extension and tighten away.. am I missing summat.. :confused:

EDIT..And I have one of those shown in TTT's post..lol

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts

Don't forget after you torque the wheel bolts it is good practice to check them again with the torque bar after a few miles of running - especially if you have alloy wheels.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The 17 mm & 19 mm security-bolt sockets supplied have male hexagon heads (of different sizes). A typical, old-style British torque wrench has a half-inch male head. So is there a male-female adapter which is also metric 17 mm to half-inch imperial? Doubt it.

If guessing the torque, I agree a cheap, generic extending wheel wrench will do the job. Usually supplied with a 17 mm & 19 mm 2-way socket.

·
2,062 Posts

Boy am I confused......

Has the torque wrench got a 1/2 inch square drive?

The security bolts on my car use an adaptor so you can loosen them...the head of the adaptor is the same size as the wheel bolt heads.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Don't forget after you torque the wheel bolts it is good practice to check them again with the torque bar after a few miles of running - especially if you have alloy wheels.
Tyre repairers certainly recommend checking torque after 50 miles running on a replaced wheel. My Modus has alloys with those separate bevelled washers (but one-piece bolts for the steel spare). However, with modern air ratchets they seem to over-torque and I've never experienced loosening.

What the tyre shop should do is to slacken-off with the torque wrench, then re-tighten, not just crack the torque wrench on what the air ratchet has over-set. Their way means emergency wheel removal by hand will be difficult and could even snap the cheap Renault wrench.

·
2,062 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts