Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to everyone!

MY first batttery is gone :D. It started leaking acid, so I guess it can not be saved?

Now I need to buy a second one. The seller at the shop tells me that it will get charged to 12.8V maximum and not to 14.4V. He also says that at 12.8V its 100% charged. I am not really certain in this, but I see some videos which show that the voltage from 14.4 will drop to 12.6-12.8 if you use the car lights for 2 minutes, which suggests the seller's information is correct. Has anyone actually tested this and can you explain it? Or at least is it so?

My old battery is in the picture.

Is this one good enough to replace my old one? I am asking since some batteries are not built for starter batteries.

Varta Blue Dynamic 12V, 80Ah, 740A, F17

Pole layout 0, (plus right)
Tension12
Starting current: 740 CCA
Capacity 80 A/h
Bottom design B13
Pole type 1
Mark Varta
Weight 19kg
Use Cars
Technical details
Replacement "same for the same" battery sold in the OE channel.
Technical details
Designed according to the highest German standards.
Technical details Patented PowerFrame® grille for reliable starting force, fast charging and corrosion resistance.
Technical details High resistance to deep discharge
Socket type 1
Length (mm) 315
Width in mm 175
Height (in mm) 175

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,038 Posts
What the seller says is correct... vehicles charge a battery at around 14.4v though this drops as battery becomes fully charged.
Left standing (engine not running) battery voltage will drop fairly quickly to around 12.6v

Whether the Varta will do, dunno, you give us no vehicle details.
AH is the same as the old one.
CCA (Cold Crank Amps) is a little lower... which may be difference in testing method/recording.
Varta is a good make.

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
15,478 Posts
My advice is measure the tray that the battery fits in and fit the best that will fill the space.

This is not for your car but I recommend the type fitted in my Scenic's.

Car Battery YBX5027 Calcium Silver Case SMF SOCI 12V 620CCA 62Ah T1 by Yuasa | eBay

A good solid battery and a reliable make.

You can't always go by what these online battery guides say, the one I have shown above is not listed as being compatible with my 2002 Scenic, it is better specs than the one listed as compatible and has a larger capacity than the supposedly correct one. Starts my Scenic a lot crisper than the poor old thing that was on there.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
If that was the first and original battery on a BMW (OEM battery for those vehicles), then ask the supplier if he can code the new battery to the car - if he can then the Varta will do (OEM was Varta anyway) ............ if not find a different supplier that can code the battery :geek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone! The car is Renault Master 2 Van 1997. The engine is SW9 A2. I will double check and update it later if necessary. I think even a 700 Ah battery will do, but I am not certain as I never had the oem battery. I am worried about the electrical characteristics, the size is the same except for the hight, so it should fit without a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the double post. I am also worried is this battery suitable for this application?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
IMO - On that vehicle yes as long as the cable lengths and terminal layout allows connection and secure hold-down. That Varta battery is a good animal

·
24,038 Posts
Yup, check the terminal layout is suitable and it will physically fit.
General rule of thumb, biggest battery with highest Ah and CCA you can get in and is within your budget.
And never smaller then the OEM size fitted.... bear in mind that makers want to save every penny when they make cars so the fit the smallest possible that will last the warrantee period.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I have a different problem, on 1 of the battery terminals there was something like a nut with external carving, so you can screw the wire terminal on it, but it fell somewhere and I can't find how its called, so I can look it up in the shops.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I have been around cars for yonks ................ and have never personally seen one of those funky terminals integrated on any battery :unsure:

............................and as a result I doubt you will readily find such fancy nuts (what you are looking for btw) .

I would say cut the cable and fit a normal battery clamp to it - from the design of that old battery's terminal I would seriously doubt the quality of the connection with ANY terminal on it

Something from this assortment should do ..........

..............apart from that I don't know what you will actually do with the nut even if you do find it because the post designs on the batteries are obviously different - or am I being dense again?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The battery cables comming from the car have a screw mechanism, they screw on to the battery pole with this nut on it. I am worried about replacing the cable, because the resistance will increase?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Show us the battery terminal assembly on the vehicle

If you do a quality replacement terminal and do a proper clean and termination of the cable, imo you will only DECREASE the the terminal's connection resistance ...................... and that is always a good thing.

On your older vehicle's charging system design imo its not going to be an issue at all to move to another clamp design - there is no intelligent battery/charging system monitoring involved or a stop/start system at all - its a simple voltage on battery monitored by the alternator's regulator looking after the battery

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help, but I think Increasing the resistance is not better. If we accept the engine's resistance is 0.05 and the cables resistance is 0.05, that means on starting the battery will need to be a higher voltage in order to supply the needed current. Like this you limit the current that can go in the battery and for 800 CCA batteries especially, thats very bad?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Thanks for the help, but I think Increasing the resistance is not better. If we accept the engine's resistance is 0.05 and the cables resistance is 0.05, that means on starting the battery will need to be a higher voltage in order to supply the needed current. Like this you limit the current that can go in the battery and for 800 CCA batteries especially, thats very bad?
So where did I say increasing resistance is better? :unsure:

Again ......... show us your terminal on the vehicle :whistle:

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
That odd connection seems to be on the negative terminal? I'd fit a new, conventional earth strap with a standard clamp fitting and buy a battery with standard connections.

·
24,038 Posts
I agree with LVR and AJC, cut your losses, fit standard connections to the cables and battery (of appropriate size) which has "standard" terminals.

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
15,478 Posts
Judging by your photos all that is needed is a good quality negative terminal. That fancy clamp arrangement is actually not as good as a normal battery connection as there is less area on the lead post that it is surrounding.
How the hell did you lose the top off it, all it needed was loosening and a wobble to remove it all.

I agree with the others, fit a standard good quality normal type connection.

:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts