Independent Renault Forums banner

How to change Laguna 1 pollen filter(with pics)

58K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  lejarvo 
#1 · (Edited)
Changing Laguna 1 pollen filter

Heres a 'how to' on changing the pollen filter on the Laguna 1.Although this was done on a Lag 1 Phase 2 model,I'm sure it's the same procedure for a Phase 1....

Firstly,make sure the ignition is off,and open the bonnet.Pull the rubber seal(A) away from the metal edge(B).

Locate the 2 screws in the plastic scuttle panel cover to the nearside rear of the engine bay.Screw 1 is a plastic T30 torx,screw 2 is a metal T20 torx.The plastic one screws out a little way,and then can be pulled out.

Next,remove the plastic grille,and this will expose the lower cover......

The lower cover unclips and comes out,and you should then be able to see the filter(yellow shaded area,as I'd already taken mine out..).The filter just pulls out.BE CAREFUL not to drop anything down the exposed hole,as it could get stuck in the heater blower fan and burn it out when you go to use it!

Spot the difference!.I think it's obvious which ones the new filter,and which one is the old one.....(Motaquip part number VCF110)

The filter is a bit of a fiddle to get back in,and you must be careful not to crush or damage it.The 'cut off corner' of the filter goes to the top left as you look at it from the front.When it's in,it should look like this.....

And in the best Haynes Manual fashion,re-fitting is the reversal of removal!.The T30 plastic screw just pushes back in,and doesn't need screwing back in.It just acts as a clip....

I hope someone finds this usefull in the future.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Good Stuff

Excellent post Lag, so thats where the little b--gg-r lives, I got the first bit right when I was trying to do mine but I didn't realise there was another plate to remove. Great Help.
Regards Leroy:)

#5 ·
It's worth a look....

Pollen filters are quite often over looked when the car is being serviced.I have seen cars that have a full Main Dealer service history,and the filters not been changed for years.(Not just Renaults,either!)

:)

#11 ·
I strongly suspect your Scenic would....

I've never changed one on a Scenic before,but from the illustration I have it looks like it's hidden up behind the glovebox.There should be a removable flap there somewhere and the filter pulls down and out.

#13 · (Edited)
Scenic pollen filter

Hi coffemaddad - have a look in your handbook or service schedule book - or contact a Renault dealer - if your car is fitted with air/con it is essential a serviceable filter is present otherwise it becomes very ineffective and ultimately the car will use more fuel - in some instances up to 10% more. A pollen filter usually cost £10-15 - so you wouldn't be long in getting your money back. Many motorists fail to realise that air conditioning cost money to run. You nothing for nothing in this world - there's no such thing as free lunch. If its the same as the Laguna 2 its behind the glove box - but I'm not certain - maybe others can comment.

#15 ·
To confirm, yes the procedure is exactly the same for Laguna 1 phase 1 & 2, although I recall experiencing slight difficulty reftting the black cover over the filter (not the scuttle panel). Not looking forward to having to do this on the Espace though.. must read up on it.

My old Mondeo had a pollen filter even though it had no air con, so best check if yours has the filter or not coffeemad

#17 ·
Pollen filter probs

Yeh coffeemaddad as tazzyK suggests having no aircon doesn't mean there is no pollen filter. Pollen filters were introduced long before aircon became popular. A blocked pollen filter cause the heater motor to work a lot harder and as a resilt will tend to overheat. I don't know about you but I would rather check out the pollen filter than wait until the heater motor burns out. A tenner for a filter sounds a much cheaper option to me. Good luvk!

#21 ·
Hi Mistry - on the Laguna II the pollen filter is located behind the glove box. Remove the glove box and you'll see a rectangular lid with 2 torx screws ( abit tight to get at and you'll need a lamp). Remove both screws yake of the cover and you'llsee the ned of the filter - slide it out - and replace with a new one - they can't be cleaned.
Hope this helps:)

#23 ·
i have a laguna 1.8 2002 (51 plate) so that last bit of info will help me too, having just been quoted £128+vat for an air con change and pollen filter change this info is invaluable to someone who is quite handy with a socket set :)

thanks.

small tip for anyone using a renault dealer for service, mine was serviced and brought back yesterday, i thought i would check the oil level, it was TWICE as far up the stick as it should be, as much past the max mark as there was under, that is pretty poor in my eyes and Dixons Renault are going to get both barrels today once i get up (been on nights so im off to bed now)

#24 ·
Laguna pollen filter update

Just changed pollen filter on my 1997 Laguna (I) 2.0 petrol RXE.
-
GREAT ORIGINAL NOTE, thanks for advice.
-
BUT - I found 3 screws (not the 2 mentioned) fixing the plastic scuttle panel cover to the nearside rear of the engine bay. Screw 1 is a plastic T30 torx, screws 2 and 3 are metal T20 torx (the third at the back right of the scuttle tray, on the outside edge).
-
As with others, this filter change must have been overlooked in the past, it badly needed doing.

#25 ·
I just changed mine thanks to this guide... Well, I say changed, but there wasn't one in there to start with. No wonder I keep sneezing going past those rapeseed fields!

#26 · (Edited)
I just changed mine today, your instructions were really useful. I had a 3rd screw to remove on mine on the right hand side of the plastic grille which was a metal T20 torx.

This filter was absolutely filthy (see below) and I am guessing it has never been changed in the whole 66k life of my car which seems crazy as it only cost me £10.08 to buy it. I suppose though I didn't even know about this filter until I found this thread last night. I usually just do oil, oil filter and air filter during a routine service.

Thanks,
Brian.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.