Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see several people reporting that the bulbs fail on the Laguna instrument panel, first 1 then the other. I am also pleased to see that it's not an MOT failure if you can't see the mileage.

Is it a DIY job to replace the bulbs and if so how do I get at them to change them?

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More information

I am not quite sure what dashboard features distinguish one Laguna from another. :confused:

It's a 1998 (Laguna 1?) 2.2 litre diesel RN.

The instruments are made by Sagem. Rev counter on the Left, speedo in the middle (with odometer above it) and Temp & Fuel to the Right.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

That link you've given doesn't appear to work any more :(

I think I might be having this problem, but before trying to sort it out can I just check on the symptoms (hopefully if anyone is listening!)

I have a 1997 Laguna 2.0 RT. It's got the dash with the electronic odometer/trip meter/oil level display thing at the top I believe made by Sagem. A couple of months ago the left side of the odometer got a bit dim but I thought it was probably a bulb gone and didn't worry too much about it.

On the way home tonight though there was nothing at all on the odometer. Am I right in assuming that this is because the other bulb has gone? If so, does anyone know the latest address of the information contained in the last post's link?

Any help massively appreciated.

John

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I did it a few months ago, can't remember if I posted anything beyond saying that I'd done it and that the Haynes manual gave an adequate explanation of the process.

Getting the speedo cable out of the back of the instrument cluster requires very flexible hands; in fact, I certainly wouldn't try it again without disconnecting the other end so you've got some slack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for that link.

There's a comment in there about removing the cowling round the steering wheel to get access to the screws at the bottom of the instrument surround. Do you (or does anyone else) know if that can be removed without taking the steering wheel off? The reason I ask is that i've got the Haynes manual and that suggests it's a steering wheel off job (which is a pain due to the airbag etc - probably).

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dashboard lamps

Thanks for that link.

There's a comment in there about removing the cowling round the steering wheel to get access to the screws at the bottom of the instrument surround. Do you (or does anyone else) know if that can be removed without taking the steering wheel off? The reason I ask is that i've got the Haynes manual and that suggests it's a steering wheel off job (which is a pain due to the airbag etc - probably).

John
Hi . . Recently I changed some bulbs in my 1999 Laguna RXE (Airbag fitted) . . .to get the sterring wheel cowling I didn't have to remove the steering wheel . . . . you do need a 'torx' screwdriver and also if you have remote controls for your stereo then you have to remove the clipped cover to access a hidden screw. All of the screws were accessible as long as the steering wheel is pulled fully backwards . . towards the driver.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your reply, it's very useful to know that! I was a bit concerned about taking the steering wheel off because of all the warnings about the airbag system in the Haynes manual.

Oh how I long for the olden days when everything was dead simple :)

All the best.
John

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Just to let you know, it should really only take you twenty minutes at the most for this job as the electronic dashes are easy to get out, the wires to the rear of the dash are long enough to manouver the unit outwards to disconnect them and the bulbs are easily accessable also.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You don't have to take the cowling off... However, I would think if yours is a 2.2D, as opposed to DT it would probably have a cable drive speedo (I guess these are the ones with the non-digital odometer.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there,

Just thought I'd let you know that it all went very well. Funnily enough, once I'd got the steering wheel cowling off I found that the bottom screws weren't there, just like Leroy in the other thread, so I probably hadn't needed to take that bit off!

For anyone else who needs to know, the bulbs are Type 286, 12V 1.2W. I got them from my local motorbike shop for 30p each (although the bloke wasn't sure how much they were supposed to be so took a guess).

Anyway - thanks everyone for their help, I am now able to see how many miles the car's done (126000!).

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts