Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi looking for advice on how to clean the engine oil out of the Cat - my turbo has just blown on my Scenic dumping an amazing amount of oil into the exhaust.

Fair enough, Ive removed the old turbo - new one ready to go in but looking for advice on whats safe to flush the oil out of the Cat (infact the whole exhaust is full of oil, as I found out when I seperated the middle section whilst directly underneath it)

Any advice i'd be grateful as really trying not to have to bear the cost of replacing the cat as well

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi James, and welcome (sorry about the circumstances).

A catalyst contains a mix of rare metals (rhodium, palladium and platinum) and has a huge surface area.

This poses 2 problems;
  1. how to remove all the oil from a surface area larger than a football pitch.
  2. whilst not affecting the metals' ability to function afterwards.
I would probably refrain from using a chemical degreasant as this may affect the functionality.

If it were me - I would probably stand the catalyst on its end and use heat to make the oil more viscous (freer-flowing) - maybe stick it in the oven. Its designed to operate at huge temperatures, so you won't damage it, and as long as there is no spark present (no gas ovens), then combustion of hydrocarbons in the catalyst (which is what you need to avoid) won't occur.

In any case, in most circumstances - the cat will be viewed as a total loss - therefore, you need to be adopting a 'damage-limitation' mentality of what can be realistically achieved.

It may be worth costing out a second-hand catalyst by doing an online search of salvage yards - you may find the cost is less than the hassle.

Hope some of this helps.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the oil in the exhaust,it's the oil in the intercooler and pipe work that should concern you.The whole system must be cleaned thoroughly other wise you risk the new turbo blowing the oil into the engine and it revving it's head off.

I'd take the exhaust system off and prop it up against a wall with a drain tray underneath it for as long as you can.This will allow most of the oil to drain out and the rest will just burn off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies / advice both - will try thoroughly cleaning the lot as dont want to fork out for a 2nd turbo - ones enough and already on 3rd EGR valves so im getting used to having my head stuck under the bonnet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts