Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
remove the grill below wipers.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
got called away yesterday so here are the pics.remove the grills below the wipers,
pic (1) shows the well full of water wich sloshes around when moving,also can enter the footwells.

pic (2) shows the crud build up around the drain.

pic(3) rinse out the well with warm water.

pic (4) give a good wipe out and clean the well.the rubber drain plug can be removed and cleaned.

Attachments

Reactions: Donald

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Excellent post 5th Wheel - good pics which show the problem clearly - I take it the rubber bung thingy acts as a one-way valve. Did the water get as far as the pollen filter. This is not just a problem for Renaults - I have seen it many times on Vauxhalls and Fords. I first came accross this problem about 20 years ago and ever since when I'm servicing a car I give it a quick check especially if the car is used or parked close to trees. I wonder how many poor drivers had problems such as this during the recent floods. What really bugs me is it is never on a service menu for any vehicle I've come accross.:steam:

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello noel.
my car had water coming into the passenger footwell after the heavy rain we had last tue.i have to park between 2 mature sycamore's so i get a lot of leaves and seeds ect,the pollen filter did get wet,the dust and wet created a silt which blocked the filter causing no air to come through the vents,i dried and cleaned the filter as a tempory measure and will renew it soon.i should have taken pics of the filter and posted them.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
noel.
any idea how much reno charge for new pollen filter

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I think it about £17-20 but I bought one from my local motor factors for £12 - It's best to take the old one with you as I think there may be two different types - the system can run without it for a day or so unless you intend to travel through the Sahara. When I changed mine recently i couldn't believe the dirt and black carbon particulate it had collected. Also if you live near trees I suggest you change it once a year especially after the autumn.:)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
noel.
i was in an aquatics centre this morning,they had an indoor pond running to an outside pool filter,on top of the filter was a type of wool membrane which allowed the water through and left the crap on top,thinking later:rolleyes: it may be a good idea to fit this membrane to the underside of the plastic grills to prevent the crap getting into the wells,and blocking the rubber outlet vent ,what do you think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi

How does one remove the grill below the wipers?

Do the wipers need to be removed?

Any specific tools required?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Beemer - you may get away with just lifting the front edge of the plastic grill below the wipers and with the aid if a torch and some stiff wire reach in and give it a poke - worked for me - other wise you will need to remove the wipers. Alternatively you could try looking behind the rear plastic wheel arch liners (where the drain pipes terminate)behind the front wheels and poking sonmething upwards.:)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Hi

How does one remove the grill below the wipers?

Do the wipers need to be removed?

Any specific tools required?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks

Chris

Put the details of your car up so we know which Renault you are asking about.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
The grills have small plastic grommets, turn the screwdriver slot a quarter of a turn then pull upwards, they should not need removing though, use a wire or thin bladed screwdriver through the grills.

No need to remove the wipers.

Specific tools......

As above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drain clearing Laguna II

The grills have small plastic grommets, turn the screwdriver slot a quarter of a turn then pull upwards, they should not need removing though, use a wire or thin bladed screwdriver through the grills.

No need to remove the wipers.

Specific tools......

As above.
This is what I managed to do as well. Just removed enough clips to allow me to bend up the scuttle to clean out the well. I'm actually thinking of snipping one "cross" out of each grille and fitting a plastic plug into the hole. I could then remove the plug and get a cleaning tool, even a small flexible bottle brush, into the enlarged hole to allow me to push any build up through the drain hole without dismantling anything. It's a long shot but it might just work...:cool:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Your idea of making holes to poke in a piece of wire or such may work from the top but they are also known to gather crud at the outlet behind the front wheel.:)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
My passenger footwell is getting very wet but I cant figure out where the water is getting in My sunroof drains are clear and the scuttle below the wipers is clear .The water is running down the door pillar just in front of the door .But where is it getting In?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, i have read most threads with this problem as i too are sufferering from a drivers side wet footwell!!! However my scuttle panel drain holes are not blocked as they are allowing fluid to wash away quickly as i have tested them. Also i do not have a sunroof.

I have read about the seal on the door but cannot find and posts in depth on this subject. Any help guys please?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts