Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2015 Clio and today I accidentally bumped the fuel flap cover whilst filling up with petrol. The cover fell off and there are four tiny bits of plastic on the actual fuel flap, that have snapped. So now i can't put the body-coloured cover back on. Renault have told me i need a whole new fuel flap, as it comes a one unit. This is going to cost me about £60.

What I want to know, is how to fit the fuel flap myself. I don't want to pay the garage to do it, if it can easily be done. There are some screws holding the fuel flap in place, so it looks easy, but then again maybe not!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,834 Posts
Managed to pull this image from the internet..by the looks of things what we see on your car is the backing plate that fixes from the body to the flap..might be a good Idea if you oped this plate from the back panel on the car and gave us some more pictures..but my guess would be that its held on by some kind of press studs/clips and that these have snapped..supposition on my part unless its obvious that its held in place by some screws..also can we see the other side of the flap itself :smile2:

Attachments

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,868 Posts
Glue it on using serious glue or gorilla glue. Hold it in position using masking tape overnight. I've used serious glue before and once cured it won't fail even in extreme temperatures.
Far cheaper than splashing out on a replacement part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Phil48, yes that's the part, except I don't need the cover (the body coloured part). It does clip onto the fuel flap with 4 tiny bits of plastic, all of which have snapped right off. I can't glue it back together, as you can't get contact between the 2 parts now the clips have snapped off. Here is a picture of he back of the body coloured cover. The 4 broken clips are on the main part of the fuel flap, not the cover.

Attachments

·
23,834 Posts
Hi Phil48, yes that's the part, except I don't need the cover (the body coloured part). It does clip onto the fuel flap with 4 tiny bits of plastic, all of which have snapped right off. I can't glue it back together, as you can't get contact between the 2 parts now the clips have snapped off. Here is a picture of he back of the body coloured cover. The 4 broken clips are on the main part of the fuel flap, not the cover.

I think you would have to be very lucky to just find a cover..even the ones on ebay are the whole thing..you could try gluing it as Dave suggests other than that..it will have to be the whole unit..another rip off from renault not selling the covers alone and if the £60 you told us about is just for a new cover then that is a right royal rip off..:crazy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Phil, it's not the cover I need, that seems to be intact. It's the piece the cover attaches to, which is fixed to the car with screws. The £60 is for the fuel flap unit (minus the body-coloured cover).
I can't glue the cover back on, as there is nowhere for the 2 pieces to make contact, so nowhere to put the glue.
So it looks like I need to buy a new fuel flap unit, then attach my cover back on to it.
I need to know if I can replace the unit myself. The picture shows the part I need to buy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
hi

speak to Renparts (our site sponsor) they can probably supply the complete unit 2nd hand in the correct color and give advise on how it is fitted too - they are quite helpful !

Al

·
23,834 Posts
Thanks Phil, it's not the cover I need, that seems to be intact. It's the piece the cover attaches to, which is fixed to the car with screws. The £60 is for the fuel flap unit (minus the body-coloured cover).
I can't glue the cover back on, as there is nowhere for the 2 pieces to make contact, so nowhere to put the glue.
So it looks like I need to buy a new fuel flap unit, then attach my cover back on to it.
I need to know if I can replace the unit myself. The picture shows the part I need to buy.
Looking back to the pics I put up I wouldn't think its to hard a job..its held in by torx screws to the body by the looks of things and there is a breather pipe which needs to be disconnected on the original and reconnected to the new so would think quite a straight forward kind of job really..:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2015 Clio and today I accidentally bumped the fuel flap cover whilst filling up with petrol. The cover fell off and there are four tiny bits of plastic on the actual fuel flap, that have snapped. So now i can't put the body-coloured cover back on. Renault have told me i need a whole new fuel flap, as it comes a one unit. This is going to cost me about £60.

What I want to know, is how to fit the fuel flap myself. I don't want to pay the garage to do it, if it can easily be done. There are some screws holding the fuel flap in place, so it looks easy, but then again maybe not!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

I have had the exact same problem, snapping the plastic hinge completely off my Clio IV (13 plates). I came across this forum as the only place on the internet with the same problem but there has never appeared to be the actual solution. So here goes to anyone else interested:

I purchased this part from Renault Parts Direct: Renault Clio Fuel Filler Flap MK4

To remove the old one and refit the new one follow these steps:

1) Unscrew the three torx screws under the fuel flap.
2) Remove the fuel cap (bit that you unscrew when filling up, attached by a wire to the flap). The wire can be fed through in reverse the hole that it is attached to.
3) Remove the flap lock, this just slides out with some force. (this is the part at the top left under the fuel flap. Compare the existing part to new part and you will see where this is.)
4) Wedge a flathead screwdriver or other item under the rim of the fuel filler flap piece to loosen it. You need to use a lot of force to wiggle the old part out as the fuel tank neck will only give you some leeway moving to the right. The part of the fuel filler flap that holds the hinge when closed is tricky but will eventually work free.
5) if it hasn't already, take off the bodywork coloured part of the fuel flap, this just slides and clicks in to the new fuel filler flap piece.
6) In the reverse fashion of how you removed the old piece, wiggle in the new piece into place. Make sure that the small black pipe looking piece feeds through the hole.
7) Once in place, click back in the flap lock and attach the fuel cap back through the small hole.
8) Screw back in the three torx screws that you removed right at the start.
9) Make sure when open, the fuel lock is released. Check that this is releasing and closing when you unlock/lock your car. If this is working. then close the fuel flap and voila, you've just saved money on replacing this part at the garage!

Hope this helps anyone in need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts