Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A laptop is 80% more energy efficiant than a desktop, by reducing energy consumtion you will cut carbon emmisiions thus saving on your electricity bill while halping to save the planet.
LCD screens are far greener than CRT monitors, a 17" crt is rated at 2amps and a 19" lcd is only 1 amp
Upgrade to Vista as it is the greenest operating system yet from microsoft, it has far more power saving features than XP
Actually switch your PC off as in at the socket or remove the plug along with all peripherals.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'm just a little concerned about the 'unplug it from the wall' advice. In my experience, most switch mode power supplies fail at power-up, though at least with a notebook PC, you're just looking at a new power brick as opposed to buying a whole new device as you'd have to with a TV or DVD player.

The latest equipment should draw very low currents on standby anyway. There's little environmental gain to be had from unplugging them.

Not actually 'green' advice, but a handy tip for anyone with notebook PC: Don't shut the lid unless you need to pack the computer away. The first thing to fail on most notebooks is the wiring between the main board and the screen. The reason? The cables get twisted each and every time you open and close the lid.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
not very green at all but not as good as lowering the wattage of light bulbs better still use energy saving bulbs you will have no choice soon as ordinarry tunston bulbs are to be fassed out
tinker2

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
The best " Green Advice " is not to buy the products in the first place, Most of the environmental damage is done while extracting the raw materials and at the manufacturing stage and transportation across the globe, Also the damage to the environment on disposal of the products.

But as Moi says it all helps... As we use our products individually, the cost savings are very little but collectively many millions of left on standby products is immense ... every little helps for the generations of the future ...

Regards

Ottoman
:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Phillips Low energy bulbs 2 for 99p at Morrisons
I went into Morrisons last week for some and none on display mmm I have used low energy light bulbs for many years now.

You must remember low energy light bulbs are not that environmentally friendly, As they contain very toxic chemicals inside and must be disposed off very carefully do not discard in with your normal rubbish most local authorities have a safe disposal structure in place also take great care when handling broken elements as the toxic contents can cause harm.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I've got some green advise........

........send the kids (if you have any) into the garden to live. That way they won't be able to leave every single light on in the house after they've been told a zillion times not to:steam: .

;) :d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts