1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I want to remove the Intake Air Temperature sensor sensor of my clio 3 1.4 16v,

It's located at the front of the engine; number 11..
And it looks like this:

This may sound like a silly question but, how do i remove this thing? I tried pulling it, nothing happened.

Thanks in advance. ✌😁

Update:

The hole in which the IAT-Senor is mounted, has a little opening at the bottom and you can remove the IAT-Sensor by sticking a flathead-screwdriver under it and bending the screwdriver / IAT-sensor a bit.

·
Super mod..
30,133 Posts
If you look at the lower vertical section of the sensor and those little ridges.. something needs to be squeezed in to allow you to pull it out

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at the lower vertical section of the sensor and those little ridges.. something needs to be squeezed in to allow you to pull it out
Yes, i noticed that too.. But the problem is that:

The green part is inside the intake manifold. Maybe i should twist or press down and twist? I will try again tomorrow. (trying to help other people in hear too... if they have this problem, they can find this topic + solution :) )

·
Super mod..
30,133 Posts
Maybe it pulls out so far to allow you to compress the arms..

·
Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4M761, DPO
4,835 Posts
I have found the plastic fingers on those sensors to go brittle........... if you don't absolutely have to remove it for a good reason, rather leave it be else you will most likely be buying a new one.................the fingers with the hooks on them locate the sensor's nose inside a hole - as you pull on the sensor's body those hooks compress automatically as it gets pulled through the hole - you cannot get to them at all

·
Super mod..
30,133 Posts
I have found the plastic fingers on those sensors to go brittle........... if you don't absolutely have to remove it for a good reason, rather leave it be else you will most likely be buying a new one.................the fingers with the hooks on them locate the sensor's nose inside a hole - as you pull on the sensor's body those hooks compress automatically as it gets pulled through the hole - you cannot get to them at all
Many thanks for that LVR..

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.. i want to replace it, so brittle-ness is not a problem :)

·
Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4M761, DPO
4,835 Posts
Try your best to get it out in one piece anyway with lots of WD40/Q20/OIL - its possible for the fingers when broken off to end up in the intake (at best) and possibly get sucked into the motor too

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try your best to get it out in one piece anyway with lots of WD40/Q20/OIL - its possible for the fingers when broken off to end up in the intake (at best) and possibly get sucked into the motor too
Thanks, if that happens i just remove the intake manifold or put a vacuum cleaner on the hole. ✌😁
i might remove the intake manifold first, because i would like to see if it needs cleaning.. seems easier to remove when the intake manifold is removed too..:unsure: (yeah why not, it's covid-19 time, it's not like i got many things to do, perfect timing haha😅)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,366 Posts
If already willing to take manifold off

Just pull the bu55er out, spray with wd40 and give it a good pull

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe this is a beginner question but:
Today i tried what would happen if i unplug the "Intake Air Temperature" sensor...(official name; IAT-sensor)

But... nothing changed or happened. The engine ran the same as with the sensor connected, same idle, same acceleration, no higher noise etc. ...

I assume this means that the sensor is broken, but i want to check: does this mean the sensor is broken or does it only change things under certain circumstances?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,366 Posts
why are you removing it.
must be a reason

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
why are you removing it.
must be a reason
To check what it does... the sensor it self. I only removed the electrical connection, not the sensor itself. I have an electrical background, mostly in electrical things, it is really noticeable when something is not plugged in... so i assume its broken, but i wanted to check if i am missing some things... by asking. What usually happens when you unplug a IAT sensor?

The reason i want to replace it, is sometimes the idle is acting weird when the engine is cold (almost stalling) and sometimes the problem is gone.... It seems to be something depended on air pressure or temperature, so: MAP or IAT sensor.. And i am bored in this covid19 time, so why not replace both sensors.. I ain't broke after ordering them haha. (it's not that expensive)

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well well..:cool: Today i tried removing the IAT-Sensor again, and actually it is/was quite simple to remove when you know how to do it:

I removed the intake manifold because the top of the engine block was dirty ( sand, oil, bit of water etc) and wanted to clean it.. and when i did, i could have a good look at the sensor and noticed the opening.

When i looked at the bottom of the hole where the IAT-Sensor is mounted, i noticed a small opening... and by ''bending'' a flat-head screwdriver at the bottom it pops out quite easily. ✌

(it's almost impossible to notice this small opening when the intake manifold is mounted on the engine..)

The top of the engine block looks nice and clean now, almost like new hehe: :sneaky:

(don't worry, the intake holes were covered by the cloth at the bottom, while i was cleaning the top of the engine block )

Cleaning was done with all-purpose-household-degreaser, little bit of soap and a dry towel.. If anyone is planning on doing this; tighten the bolts the correct way, i dont know how to say this in english; tighten the opposites of every bolt.. Afterwards, turn on the ignition 3 times while holding it for 1-2 sec, then the ECU will reset the throttle bottle values and it will reprogram itself.

Now it's just a matter of waiting until the new sensor arrives. :)

·
Super mod..
30,133 Posts
RESULT.. you just never know what can be achieved until you try. Excellent pics as well

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RESULT.. you just never know what can be achieved until you try. Excellent pics as well

View attachment 189294
I knew i could do it (i have electrical background so im not clumsy or anything)

Thanks!

Yeah! it felt awesome to do this! ✌😁✌

Cleaned the inlet holes in the engine block too, with a towel.. removed a lot of black stuff.. The intake manifold it self, was really clean.. just a tiny bit of oil layer inside.. nothing to worry about.

Now i have to warn mechanics before letting them do maintenance, they might get blinded by the shiny aluminium. :cool: :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
I knew i could do it (i have electrical background so im not clumsy or anything)

Thanks!

Yeah! it felt awesome to do this! ✌😁✌

Cleaned the inlet holes in the engine block too, with a towel.. removed a lot of black stuff.. The intake manifold it self, was really clean.. just a tiny bit of oil layer inside.. nothing to worry about.

Now i have to warn mechanics before letting them do maintenance, they might get blinded by the shiny aluminium. :cool: :p
I could use you to remove my entire engine bay for me. I like detailing, but in this weather.. it just plains miffs me off. Fair play mate.

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could use you to remove my entire engine bay for me. I like detailing, but in this weather.. it just plains miffs me off. Fair play mate.
Haha, maybe... :p

It took me about 3,5 hours to clean the engine bay with some degreaser/soap/water and removing/refitting the intake manifold. When the intake-manifold was removed, the cleaning actually was a really slow and time consuming process.. had to remove the coil-packs too, to clean the edges near the coil-packs..

Past week we had snow and ice.. from the 7th until the 14th..
Today was quite sunny, no rain, pleasant temperature 12-16*c (?)..

Time, mood, weather and patience is key!

Perfect day to do engine bay detailing!

Thanks!

·
Registered
08 MK3 Clio 1.4 16v
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have one silly question: I wasn't able to disconnect a vacuum lines at the back of the Intake manifold, because i did not know how to remove them. The mk3 clio 1.4 has not a lot of 'room' to look at the connection properly.

It's probably really easy, but somehow i struggled understanding it.. I tried pulling, ofcourse haha.

I viewed a youtube video of a guy removing the intake manifold of a rs 197 and made some screenshots to show which connections i am talking about:

Might want to clean other stuff too:
I suspect that injectors might not be 100% clean, because the car maintenance book showed that a few years ago, it did not have any service for a few years...

Although it runs/pulls alright, i want to clean them for making the engine run on its best.. maybe improving on fuel consumption)

Meanwhile, i probably clean the inside of the intake manifold too. Just for fun :)

So.. if anyone can help me with removing these connections?? Thanks in advance! :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts