Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just been searching on the web to find solutions to whats going on with my Laguna 1 (1998).

I have read some , basically I had a rear (passenger sid puncture). I bought 2 new tyres. Put them on the Front and put the best of the front on the back.

Drove out hte garage and the steering wheel was constantly about 15 degrees down on the right.

Took it back to Kwikfit... They put my 2 new tyres on thethe back and the old back ones on the front...

Steering became twitchy..... but now there is a groaning.. humming noise... possibly from the rear.. but When I turn left it quietens down.

Any help?

I ve got it booked into a garage on Friday - but would like to be prepared as to cost etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jack the car up and test each wheel to see if there is any lateral movement. The problem could be a wheel bearing failure, apparently common on rear wheels of the mk1 Laguna.

If this is the case, fix is new wheel bearing at ~£50-60 plus an hour or so to fit per wheel affected.

As regards to the steering being out, did the garage(s) balance the wheels/tyres and check the tracking when they did the work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Cupis...

Thanks for the reply and the info... they told me they had sorted the tracking but then gave me some rubbish when they swapped the tyres over that it was to do with the rotation of the wheels.... I did not quite believe him. A asked about the tracking and the balancing and they said theh had done it.. There is deffinately enough lead on one of the new tyred rims to balast a frigate...

But Ill have a look tonight if i can.

Thanks agian

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hello Cupis...

Thanks for the reply and the info... they told me they had sorted the tracking but then gave me some rubbish when they swapped the tyres over that it was to do with the rotation of the wheels.... I did not quite believe him. A asked about the tracking and the balancing and they said theh had done it.. There is deffinately enough lead on one of the new tyred rims to balast a frigate...

But Ill have a look tonight if i can.

Thanks agian
Not complete rubblish many high performance tyre types have a direction of rotation and you can't rotate them. The ones fitted to my Laguna cannot be rotated without removing them from the rim and turned arout 180 degrees

1 - 5 of 5 Posts