Independent Renault Forums banner

I cannot put petrol in my 63 clio!!

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ozzie Lag owner 
#1 ·
I have had my 63 plate Clio for a few days now and when I went to fill up yesterday, I could not put petrol (Unleaded) in.

I opened up the petrol flap and unscrewed the cap etc but it seems the metal part of the pump can not reach the entrance for the petrol to go in (if you know what I mean, I am not very good with car terms etc) It keeps clicking as to say the tank is full. I did manage to put some in but very slowly (I guess the flow of petrol opened up the little flap enough to go in but would click if I pressed the pump handle down further)

Am i missing a trick here or could something be wrong? I feel like an idiot not being able to put petrol in!!!

I have been diving for 14 years and had many cars and never ever had this issue. Any advice?

#2 ·
It could either be the pump that you used had a dodgy handle or the vent in your cars tank is blocked causing the fuel to back up and trigger the pumps shut-off valve. Try another petrol station first so that eliminates one possibility.

#4 ·
Once you remove the cap you will see a metal flap that is spring loaded form the inside of the filler neck seemingly blocking you looking down into the filler neck or sticking the hose's nose in there ....................

Now this thing is on a quite strong spring and you really need to push to force the flap open - its basically a protection measure to keep water and dirt out of the filler neck/tank .

You need to stick the hose's nozzle "through" that flap so that the nose's opening ends up under that flap - once you do that the fuel will flow into the filler neck no problem.

Don't be scared to lean on the hose's handle to stick the nose through the metal flap ..................once you are done refueling the flap will automatically slap shut again

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.