Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...of main dealers! :steam:

The Hearse has had, as some of you may know, it's fair share of problems over the last few months including head gasket failure and a new clutch. I've got a good warranty so I'm not out of pocket, but it's just been a plain old pain in the a$$!

The head gasket went resulting in an instant overheat which cooked the cylinder liners so it was a proper head off and muck about job. I had it done at the main dealer under the warranty. It was back for a week before the new gasket leaked and they had to but that right too

Right from getting it back after the first gasket repair, there has been a really annoying buzzing noise which has been getting steadily worse. I had it back at the dealer for various bits and 3 times I've had them look at this buzzing noise

They didn't charge me for diagnostics, but confirmed that there was nothing coming up under diagnostics to start with :rolleyes: I mean, for God's sake. It's a mechanical buzzing - surely it's not that hard to pin down. The last couple of times I've taken it back to them, they've acknowledged the problem but all I've got out of them is:

"It's only happening under load sir"

No sh$t Sherlock! I could have told them that! It *only* happens at 3000rpm. It's also an MG. Do they honestly expect me to drive it like Miss :censored: Daisy? So - I gave up and did the usual consumer thing of "I'll leave it and once something falls off they'll know what it is!". Unfortunately, it's been weeks with no improvement and no worsening of the symptoms

Last week I had to have a new slave cylinder, and I had this done under warranty at my local garage. Paul is a star man (see dealer directory) and has been looking after my cars for years. He's going to be servicing the Hearse from now on as we've been able to get the warranty company to allow me to use him. This morning I whizzed it in to him. He's great - his mate dropped me off at home and an hour later he's back at the house with the keys...

"All done Mike. Broken exhaust bracket"

He's charged me the princely sum of

a tenner!

Is it me?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:rofl: Could be the "Sucker" birthmark on my forehead I suppose...

·
Registered
33 Posts
We're having a bit of a time with our Main dealers too, bought the car a few months ago and it's been in the main dealer 4 times now every time they say it's fixed we go to collect it and it's the same as when it went in. So far the diagnosis has been steering column, front strut bearings and now they are saying steering rack, I honestly don;t think they know what they are doing.
I've asked for an itemised sheet of what they have done when we pick it up this time, they tell me that they don't do that as it's being done on the warranty and that any main dealer will be able to bring up the details on a computer, so what if you don't want to take it to a main dealer again as the warranty is up in November, I'm thinking of taking it to the AA for a full check when it comes back to see if they have actually done what they say they have done, I know it'll cost me but I'm worried that they'll have only done a patch up job on it, do you think this is a good idea?

They did tell me they were putting a new steering column in this has now changed and they tell me they didn't that they put a shock absorber and new bolt in, I don;t trust them after that

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I think you'll find that all the decent MG Rover technicians were shot when the company went down the tubes..........

That way they couldn't work for the competition.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use independents!

I bought my Clio from a very good indepent dealership in York (DJ Woodcocks, D&J Woodcock) because I was appalled by the service of my local dealer - Dixons.

I was having a wander round their forecourt 18 months ago looking for a clio with fogs, alloys, spoiler (i.e. at least a dynamique). I had done my homework big time so knew exactly what to look for.

There weren't any there, so I was coaxed inside by a salesman who sat me down (no offer of a coffee, etc) and took my requirements. Would you believe it, there was a Clio slightly newer than I was looking for but also slightly more expensive. Higher mileage though. I was interested, but it was in a lock-up outside the county and I would need to put a deposit down to view it, i.e. I would pay for it to be brought here. I expressed concern at putting money down, but to my shame he talked me into it.

As I left something just didn't smell right, so with all the details of the car he had given me (including number plate) I went onto Dixons website and found the VERY SAME car on sale at their Doncaster dealership - i.e. not in a lock up. Not only that, it was on sale for £500 less than the price he had given me on the paperwork!!!

Needless to say I was back there within half an hour with a print off of this, and they couldn't give me my money back quickly enough. I found this an absolutely shocking way to do business. I should never have handed the money over, but it appalls me that this could be happening to other people. Next day I was at Woodcocks, test driving a 3 yr old Clio Dynamique with 13k on the clock, spotless, a great buy. His words when I collected it later in the week were "thats a gem of a car, look after it, we don't find many that good." Typical sales patter perhaps, but his after sales service has been spot on too.

Will take a lot to get me back in a main dealer....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct if I'm wrong here but must of the smarter mech's will set up on their own once they have completed a few years working for a francise or dealership.

Perhaps that's why you'll get the poor service and high prices with dealers ? I dunno.

Maybe it's a time thing ? Never worked in the trade so not really able to answer with any degree of accuracy..

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Ive had further social intercourse recently with my local dealer regarding problems with the Scenic. This time in for its 2yr service... same old/repeat probs with foul stinking air con and the squealing brakes saga.

Cutting a long story short.... post-servcie, aircon still stinks, brakes squal as bad as ever...Ooo... and now they groan a bit too.

Still they said they deodorised the air con and changed the pollen filter, and they checked and cleaned the brakes and theyr were perfectly safe !!!

Had a post-service cust.sat. phone call... HA!...you can guess my "constructive" comments offered !!!

Needless to say...heard nothing since !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts