Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody a member of this organisation and if so did it make any difference when getting an insurance quote?

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Yes to your first question and no to your second.

When I received the first IAM magazine I rang all the insurers who advertised in the Mag for quotes, they were all more costly than the insurers I already had.

I have not tried anymore since then.

Are you a member?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What exactly is involved in becoming an Advanced Driver?.

It's something I'd like to do(if I come up to scratch!...).:)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I know 2 people at work that are IAM - neither one managed to get insurance any cheaper, in fact the opposite.
Both have shopped around for insurance and got it cheaper than from IAM approved insurers.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I am a member in Car and Heavy Goods Vehicles categories.

Click below. The test only takes a one and a half hours drive on all classes of road. They have dropped the commentary drive now.

Institute of Advanced Motorists | Welcome to the IAM!

Thanks Davesss,I'll look into it soon.At the moment I'm still trying to master staying on 2 wheels!.:).It's a lot more difficult than it looks.....:rolleyes:

The plan is to get used to it,and try taking a test next year so I can get rid of my bl00dy L plates!.:d

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
You can do the IAM test for motorbikes aswell !

I should have got the IAM certificate for motorbikes aswell when I had the chance but I never applied for it.

Being a military driving examiner for all vehicles and I mean all. Cars, Motorbikes, tracked vehicles, all hgv etc. We were awarded the IAM certificates without taking the actual test as they said we passed tests and did courses much more strict.

I still ride my Kawasaki, heres a picture of me taken about 33 years ago..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
cor I thought I was old Dave.....

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thats very impressive Davesss!.:)

I am a very long way from being an advanced bike rider though!.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I did mine through RoSPA ADA 14 years ago in Bury St Edmunds.
Its the system the police use. In fact, it was the local traffic unit that set the club up until enough people had come through the system to 'observe' other drivers undergoing their training.
I found it really interesting and very worthwhile, the system is supposed to pay for itself by reducing stress, wear and tear on the car.
We had some IAM members join us and they found that RoSPA was a little more intense and on a higher level.
I think it should be a requirement for all drivers to expand their basic training a couple of years after passing their first driving test and subsequently be retested at regular intervals. Especially so in later years.
Like previous posters in this thread, I tried to get cheaper insurance but found all those companies offering a reduced premium were significantly more expensive than those not offering, Shame, really (no carrot v stick syndrome)!
I'd recommend RoSPA to anyone wishing to sharpen up their driving skills.

A good thread, VelSat............

S

·
0 Posts
Great photo Dave!

My dad was an IAM member for years and used to do the assessed drives that help you to learn which bits need attention. Very worth while although I've never got round to trying it myself. The Roadcraft manual is well worth a read too, especially the section regarding limit points

Re. insurance discounts, some insurers still offer a discount, but it's never been all that high. If you shop around and plump for an insurer or broker online, try giving them a ring if you are a member of the IAM - they may still be able to shave a bit of your insurance

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
You can do the IAM test for motorbikes aswell !

I should have got the IAM certificate for motorbikes aswell when I had the chance but I never applied for it.

Being a military driving examiner for all vehicles and I mean all. Cars, Motorbikes, tracked vehicles, all hgv etc. We were awarded the IAM certificates without taking the actual test as they said we passed tests and did courses much more strict.

I still ride my Kawasaki, heres a picture of me taken about 33 years ago..........

Very impressive Davesss, Not much then you have not driven :)

I used to have a AJS trials bike at one time, Used to visit the trials in Fort William years back

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I would love to have an AJS trials bike, I used to do trials nearly every weekend quite a while ago, even did the Welsh international enduro trial a few times, once on the bike in the photo and after that on heavily modified Triumph 500s.
If you want to see what I have driven take a look at this old thread...............

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/2370-your-vehicular-history.html

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Great photo Dave!

My dad was an IAM member for years and used to do the assessed drives that help you to learn which bits need attention. Very worth while although I've never got round to trying it myself. The Roadcraft manual is well worth a read too, especially the section regarding limit points

Re. insurance discounts, some insurers still offer a discount, but it's never been all that high. If you shop around and plump for an insurer or broker online, try giving them a ring if you are a member of the IAM - they may still be able to shave a bit of your insurance
Regarding insurance, I used Gocompare.com.
I got a Fully comp, protected policy with all the frilly bits for £216.00 with £50 M&S vouchers back a month later.
Brill!
:franco:

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I visited gocompare .com and confused.com, I found confused to have the cheaper quotes.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I used confused (there, I'm a poet and I don't know it............lol) last year but this year Gocompare came up trumps! It pays to shop around!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts