Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am new to the forum and will toddle off and introduce myself in the Welcome part after this:d

I have had my megane coupe 1.6 e for three weeks now, and today she has started to play up:(

I was at the lights which turned green and tried to pull off but she wouldn't rev high at all and stalled, took me a while to get her started and then she was fine. Parked up at the shop and pop back about 10 minutes later and try to start her, she will not rev in idle and I had no power at all driving home and she kept trying to cut out at junctions.

Got half way down the dual carriageway at her top speed of 40mph in 5th and she just jumped forward as the revs shot up (I was almost flooring it) and she went back to normal:confused: :confused:

Has anyone got any ideas?

Layla :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi:)

No, no lights on the dash at all, apart from when she stalled and the red immobiliser light and the oil and battery thing came on as normal:confused:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
:) Hi :) It Sound As Though It Could Be A Map Sensor Fault/or Coil Fault
Lagdti Has Put Up A Few Post Regarding The Vacuum Hoses Splitting So Thats Worth A Try As I Think Its Quite Common. The Sensor Itself Is On The Bulkhead.

Also Coils That Are Breaking Down Will Also Give These Symptoms. I Think On Yours Its A Coil Pack Which Has 2 Banks Each Controlling 2 Cylinders And If They Are Braking Down The Can Be Quite Temperamental.

Just One Other Thing Which Ive Found Before Is The Earth From The Injector Loom, Witch Bolts On To The Alternator Bracket (beside I Think The Dip Stick) Can Sometimes Become Loose Due To Vibrations Or More Likely Being Disturbed In The Past. This Gives The These Symptoms Aswell Lol:)

Hope This Helps You In Some Way And Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Hi Layla.

Sounds very similar to a Lambda problem I had on my Alfa... The car wouldn't rev when trying to flor it but dip the clutch and press the gas and the revs went up ok... rev it hard and the car was then ok.

When it first started, it only did it 30 seconds after cold start, but eventually it got so bad it would do it during driving after the car had warmed up.... I'd get the lambda sensor checked out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys :)

It did it again today :( so I pulled in at the nearest garage which was a Kwik Fit who said my Catalytic Converter's gone and that the cause is either the coil pack or the lamba/oxygen sensor, but I need to stick it on a diagnostic to find out which one as they could replace my cat which would sort the problems out but it will go again as it'll get blocked again from the coil/sensor.

Does anyone have any advice? Am waiting for someone to get back to me about sticking it on a diagnostic today, so am impatiently waiting!! No lights have come on on the dash, but the cat was smoking when it went into the garage and the whole exhaust was boiling hot

I seem to have no luck with cars

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sounds like one of the coils has failed.It is easy to diagnose which ones at fault,but to be honest I'd replace both as if one is giving problems now,the other is sure to follow.:(.Also,if your having a new cat fitted,you don't want the other coil to fail and wreck another cat....

Theres no need to get a diagnostic done on it,just get someone who knows what they're doing to remove a spark plug lead with the engine running.If theres no change in engine note,then thats the coil thats faulty.As each coil runs two cylinders,if you pull a lead from the good coil the engine will cut out anyway as at the moment the cars only running on two cylinders,but if you take the lead off the good coil it won't run as only one cylinder will be firing!.

From memory the coils are around £45 each(£90 for the pair) and are available aftermarket from any good motor factor.They are different and aren't interchangeable,so you'll need to know which is faulty before getting another.

The cat would have been damaged by the coil being faulty,so the cat isn't causing your running problems,it has failed due to unburnt fuel going through it.I would avoid driving the car at all as the cat will glow white hot and could be a fire hazard!!!:eek:.I have seen one go almost see-through after the car had been driven with a misfire!

Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys!

Many thanks for your help Lagdti, have just read your reply and you are spot on!

It was one of the coils, and they had a second hand one which they put on for a tenner and now my car works :d Mechanic ran the car and checked the cat and said that it's not getting hot, no smoke etc so it should be okay for now, he's changing my cambelt and tensioners for me next weekend so will have a proper look then I guess :)

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts