Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all cars would be electric
Who would pull them all out, after running the heating for 3 hours?
And specially, How?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need an answer by 2040, When Hydrocarbon powered engines will not be made, according to HM Gov.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Hmmmm ...............I keep wondering where all the wonderful electricity is going to come from given the inability of humans to agree on how to generate/source it currently

Lets say the guys here at https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_charging_home.html are correct with all their typical assumptions and the 34kWh figure per 100 miles

Lets try and be optimistic and say only 50 miles per day is needed per vehicle ............... thus 17kWh per day per car ............... that's close to or exceeding the needs of a typical household PER DAY for a single car

So government is saying they are able to double the CURRENT electricity production capacity within say 10 years (optimistic) so that only the current consumer base can move from HC to AC? ....................go on pull the other one.:|

What about population growth on top of that?

............... and what about reality on top of THAT like the gridlock in snowy/icy/rainy conditions as per the pic? ..............:think:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,736 Posts
Just throwing this out there , as you all look at things different to me
:surprise:

Like I will give a flying tuck in 2040.. :grin2:

They can all break down for me, as wont be touching the bloody things..:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Must say I have a few Prius examples I am aware of that since about 2009 never required electrical maintenance or a seeing-to ................ some close to 300K km and still doing around 18kpl avg in its life

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,736 Posts
Think People are being blindly led into this..

Whats the Plan, Motor packs in, New motor dropped in the car, or scrap it..

We had someone on here RenBen from Norway,

he mentioned what he had to wear just to work on these electric cars..

Feel sorry for the break down services, big jump leads they will need LOL

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,517 Posts
Just throwing this out there , as you all look at things different to me
:surprise:

Like I will give a flying tuck in 2040.. :grin2:

They can all break down for me, as wont be touching the bloody things..:smile2:
if i am still around it will be a bus pass if they still have them if not then its down to zimmer frame on wheels
in the last 15 years batteries have come along way i have a set of car batteries i was testing 10-12 years ago as big as a coke can li-on type now they are 5 times smaller and nearly twice the capacity not sure if they can give the same output though i 10-20 years there should be a big improvement

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,386 Posts
.................and a small NUKE on the back of the truck to supply the capacity>:)
Which prompts me .... in a future war all the enemy would have to do is to destroy the power stations to immobilise a country :|

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts
Which prompts me .... in a future war all the enemy would have to do is to destroy the power stations to immobilise a country :|

But half them windmills are not working so how will the enemy figure out where to send his Heinkels. Aha!

UK nominal generating capacity 40GW
Private cars 2018 , 32 million.
Vauxhall Ampera stage 1 charge, 1 kW
30% of cars plugging in at tea time, 10 GW.
Going to need a much bigger grid and wires wires everywhere. No, seriously I mean wires coming out your ass.
Going to need more courts and insurance execs for all the trips and falls.

Has any one looked at the consequences of one going on fire? Not funny. They have to wear spacesuits and use a cutter at your peril and a drive train could take off at any moment.

Still, the nice lady at the fire department said that there were only 100 000 car fires in the UK each year and not to worry because they don't catch fire by themselves, the vast majority are crims destroying evidence.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Brendan ................ and on a related issue while thinking of a Boing (DC10?) that went up in flames as a result of bunch of these Li-ion cells being transported and getting damaged.

Wonder what happens if 007 pulls one of his driving off one park deck onto another while wrecking a few cars in the process stunts.......................... brand new story line for the next James Bond movie .......... no more car chase scenes................ and perhaps that old exploding car after it got shot with a 9mm cliche now will start reflecting reality:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They tried this, After 1/2 Hour, the car had gained just FOUR miles of range. Reading Further, suggests a genny capable of OVER 5 kW is necessary.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts
They tried this, After 1/2 Hour, the car had gained just FOUR miles of range. Reading Further, suggests a genny capable of OVER 5 kW is necessary.

Actually 80kW and then the master stroke, you put the genny under the bonnet and connect it to the wheels and throw away all the electrickery and wires. Wonder why no one has thought of it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts