Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i just thought i would keep you all posted on the carminat and what i did and it could save you cash as i see the prices on ebay and from renault being sky high..well my carminat unit was broke reading disc on and off more off than on i looked around at around £1000 from renault £384 from parts direct and around £300 from fleabay...so i advanced search in ebay to look at from other places IE france.

i got a system from 04 lag i think it was bit differant from ours in that the gps above the radio is smooth and you have independent control box. and inside lookes diff but the cd reader is similar..well the contection are the same ...on looking it was my laser on the reader that had gone so i paid £200 for complete unit screen etc.. that including post for one from france got it, took top metal off both units which is just a hard pull and undone 4 screw and removed the reader part itself and put it into my unit switch on and all working again. i have looked and at the moment and a couple are around...

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just another update i have been looking at the VDO daytona as the unit looks the same i have just got one and it should be with me tuesday i will take it apart to see if the laser unit is the same put into my droke unit and see it it works if so this will also be a very cheap option to do as the problem looks to be with the lasers or laser pickups? if the later these can be fix i`m told quite cheep....:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hiya.

I have a problem with my Carminat system in my 52 Laguna.
Only just brought it and would love to get the satnav working.
Basiclly,it just pops the disc in and out at random??
I brought a up to date disc of ebay and now it still pops it out,but in between it will allow me to get the map up but when I try to enter my cars location it will get so far and lock up.
I removed the glovebox unit today and attempted to clean the lazer eye but this has made no difference!!!
Does this sound like the problems you have experienced and would replacing the eye fix it?

Many thanks in advance.
Steve :steam:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I just bought a more up to date map CD for my GPS off ebay, the new disc pops in and out as you describe, the old one works. You may just have purchased a duff disc.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi, I just bought a more up to date map CD for my GPS off ebay, the new disc pops in and out as you describe, the old one works. You may just have purchased a duff disc.
Try making a copy the disk on your PC using a good quality CD. I had a disk that kept ejecting but I made a copy from the duff disk and the copy worked fine.

Len

·
Registered
3 Posts
carminat sat nav screen blank

high explosive.

I have trolled through the carminat sat nav messages and it seems that i have a similar problem to what you had. My battery went flat and i managed to jump start the car. until the alternator charged the battery all the dashboard dials went haywire then they all settled down but the sat nav screen stayed blank. Following this I had the battery replaced by local battery shop but still the screen remains blank.
I can hear the cd rom reader whirling away when you start the ignition and the red light on the cd rom ( not the orange inject light ) is on so the unit may not be damaged but like you i wonder if the laser eye is damaged. I am intrigued as to how such damage could occure in the unit.

I also read that vdo daytona unit may be a straight swop for the carminat is that true or was it used just to replace the laser unit.

any comment would be most usefull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts