Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've been having problem after problem with my van of late, all started with injectors not clamping down properly and problems with helicoils biting etc etc...

So anyway, today after starting on and off without running, the battery was drained so borrowed some leads and the lad helping me reversed polarity, there was a big spark and everything went off, however it all came back on again, all except the ignition coil light, now the van turns over but wont fire. The ignition coil light doesn't illuminate at all but the actual light itself is fine as it comes on with the dash test function?

Could someone please advise me to start looking, could it be a relay/fuse or would it most likely be more serious?

(Edit: Just see the price of a glow plug relay, that's pretty serious in my books), anything better it could be.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Re: Ignition coil not fault after jump start

Hi

can you fill in your garage - is your van a petrol or diesel engine size year etc.........................

reverse polarity error can cause all sorts of problems, (some possibly terminal !) however 1st check would be the big fuses on the + (RED) battery post.

Al .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Ignition coil not fault after jump start

Sorry, didn't see that, all done now but it's a 2.5 dci.

Would the fuse on the battery not close everything down? everything else seems to work fine, just no coil light on dash.

Thanks
Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Hi

there are more than one fuse, maybe only the one is blown ? do a continuity test on all to be certain.

Al

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,262 Posts
Under bonnet fuse box, large red 70 amp fuse .
Preheating unit, ( Glow plugs ) should be this one that's blown
2nd from the left at the widest part of the fusebox

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I'm back...been over to the van and pulled every fuse I could find and they're all as they should be so now I'm pretty sure it's the glow plug relay that's at fault, if not that then I'm in deep trouble.

My new question, is there any way of bypassing the relay on one of these and if so, how exactly (Dumbed down version if possible), I've seen videos of people putting jump leads from another car across two terminals on the relay and even one of someone shorting the circuit between two terminals for about 30 seconds to a minute but all the videos I've found are american and we all know their cars are built by the lowest bidder so don't really take much effort to conceal wiring etc. On the van there are IIRC 7 wires, I read somewhere that 4 go to the glow plugs, 1 is a perm' 12v and 2 go to the ECU so I would obviously need to cross the 12v to one of the ECU wires but which one and is there a chance of creating even more mess?

Thanks again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts