Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Sorry for making a thread about ignition coils as I realise there are many here, however using the search facility didn't answer my query.

Over the last 9 months I have had to replace 3 out of the 4 coils (the 3rd went this saturday). Fed up with this situation and having paid out garage fees everytime, I have instead ordered a whole new set of 4 from ebay.

When these arrive I plan to swap all 4 but ideally would like to keep the 3 working coils as spare. My question is, is there anyway to spot/test the defective coil when they are all removed, other than putting one back in at a time and starting the engine etc. Will the broken one show any visible signs?

Thanks

(Scenic Fidji 1.4 2003 model)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
They can't be easily tested off the car,but to determine the faulty one disconnect the injectors one at a time and listen for a change in engine speed/note.If no change is heard,then thats the faulty one.There is no point in disconnecting the coils individually as they're wired in pairs.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi when buying new ignition coils make sure they are not made by sagem(the mobile phone maker)these are the ones which are inherently faulty these are what renault install and by rights should replace for free as they know that there is a problem with the sagem coils

1 - 6 of 6 Posts