Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well thanks to all who voted and thanks to selwonk:d for setting it up

anyone got any memories (good or bad) from their early motoring days with renaults?

S

·
0 Posts
My first ever car was a 1977 Renault 5. It had a different shade of red on every panel and holes in the floor. If you booted it the cabin filled with clutch smoke and if you put the heater on it smelt of curry :)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
My very first car was a Dauphine, strangely advertised as ''France's Famous Flyer'' it never achieved more than 70 but apart from this I loved it. The only downside was the 6 volt battery which made winter starting (we had real winters back in the Midlands those days) somewhat difficult to say the least. Elastic gear change but easy to work on, the rear suspension and crossmember were suspect to cracks but you could drop the whole lot out, engine and all. In the next installment I'll mention my R8, and R8 Gordini.
Gordini was an early F1 style racer and engine tuner who unfortunately sold his company to Renault.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
A lad I went to college with restored a Renault 5 Gordini.

I haven't seen him or the car for some 14 years now,so I don't know if either are still alive....:rolleyes:.I remember him cursing about having to change the starter motor on it,though.A bas#ard of a job,apparently.:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
A lad I went to college with restored a Renault 5 Gordini.

I haven't seen him or the car for some 14 years now,so I don't know if either are still alive....:rolleyes:.I remember him cursing about having to change the starter motor on it,though.A bas#ard of a job,apparently.:)
The ones with the engine in the back were easier Laggy:rolleyes:

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
I've sent an e-mail to the Gordini Club in Argentina and hopefully will get a response, I thought it would be interesting if they could send a few pics of the engine bays so we can see how simple they are to work on. We seem now to have two threads on the same subject so could one of the moderators please unite them.
Regards Leroy

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
R4 memories

Going back about 35 - 40 years I remember my dad had about four Renault 4s. I'll never understand why. I remember the front bench seat which meant the gear stick was mounted on the dash. The gear linkage was a rod which went across the top of the engine and formed a cup over an almost conventional gearstick at the front. I remember thinking as a young boy that they must have put the engine in back to front because of a mistake in the gearbox that made it drive backwards. :d

The suspension system was unreal it comprised two concentric steel tubes with a rubber infill in the gap. the body was attached to the outer tube and the swing arm attached to the inner one. the rubber was only a couple of millimeters thick, how it stood up to my Dad's cornering I don't know. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts